Floating head unit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone installed one of these in a pre-03 100? My old double din is getting a little long in the tooth. I’d like a larger screen wit CarPlay and to be able to run Gaia on a bigger screen than my phone. The other option is to run all audio off an iPod but I’d rather not do that.

Thanks!

I've been wanting to do this for my 1999 100, but am still trying to wrap my head around the amount of hours and level of difficulty it will be to "do everything at once". I'm planning on bypassing the stock amplifier as well.

Here is a photo I found somewhere on mud (not my vehicle), this should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Headunits for LC.jpg

@ClassyJalopy recently installed one.

I installed a Sony unit in my '01 100 and it took maybe 30 minutes. If you havent done a head unit before you just have to wire the two harnesses together color to color. Piece of cake. The power antenna wasnt compatible but who listens to the radio anymore.

IMG_1319.jpeg

Kenwood 10" DMX1057XR in a 2000 LC100 non-nav. Did the factory amp delete. Very happy with it. That's the highest it can go, I think. I might extend it out a bit more so I can tilt it back a little. It obscures the antenna controls and the clock, but climate controls are ok.

1642638686930.png

@skink That DMX1057XR looks great. These weren't a thing a few years ago when I put in my Kenwood double din. The volume knob would be a great add, as well as Wireless Carplay. Is the screen position adjustable at all?

My 2000.. stupid simple. I stream everything so no worry about radio with me. Cellular iPad.

Ram mount, factory amp replacement, rca to lightning adapter, rca input to amp.

Works pretty darn well.

B1789FE7-99EA-4FB1-BFF5-533D824E56F2.jpeg

Kenwood 10" DMX1057XR in a 2000 LC100 non-nav. Did the factory amp delete. Very happy with it. That's the highest it can go, I think. I might extend it out a bit more so I can tilt it back a little. It obscures the antenna controls and the clock, but climate controls are ok.

View attachment 2899373
That looks great. I wish I could find a way to do this in an LX with navigation.

I’m curious which floating head units you all are running that has the following options:

1. Works for a 99 non nav 100 series
2. Capacitive touch screen (like your iPhone)
3. Multiple camera inputs (for front trail cam and rear camera
4. Wireless CarPlay
5. Does not block antenna button or clock (optional, I guess)
6. Has volume rotary knob (optional)

I’ve been searching casually and have only been looking at the crutchfield website using their vehicle compatibility wizard, but of course am open to other resources that I’m not aware of

I’m curious which floating head units you all are running that has the following options:

1. Works for a 99 non nav 100 series
2. Capacitive touch screen (like your iPhone)
3. Multiple camera inputs (for front trail cam and rear camera
4. Wireless CarPlay
5. Does not block antenna button or clock (optional, I guess)
6. Has volume rotary knob (optional)

I’ve been searching casually and have only been looking at the crutchfield website using their vehicle compatibility wizard, but of course am open to other resources that I’m not aware of
The Kenwood DMX1057XR meets all of those criteria except #5. You can still reach behind and use the antenna buttons, but you can't see them, or see the clock (or whatever that other thing is there, the car alarm indicator?).

1. I found the install pretty tricky on the 2000 non-nav 100 series, but now that I know all the gotchas, it wouldn't be bad.
2. Great capacitive screen.
3. DMX1057XR has 4 s-video camera inputs, I think, plus a dash cam, and HDMI, so you could probably have 5 or 6 different video inputs. Easy access from a dedicated CAM button.
4. Yes (and Android, and wireless screen mirror for Android, but not for iPhones, I think it does wired screen mirroring though?).
5. No :(
6. Yes! And it also doubles as a context menu button. Good interface over all.

The Kenwood DMX1057XR meets all of those criteria except #5. You can still reach behind and use the antenna buttons, but you can't see them, or see the clock (or whatever that other thing is there, the car alarm indicator?).

1. I found the install pretty tricky on the 2000 non-nav 100 series, but now that I know all the gotchas, it wouldn't be bad.
2. Great capacitive screen.
3. DMX1057XR has 4 s-video camera inputs, I think, plus a dash cam, and HDMI, so you could probably have 5 or 6 different video inputs. Easy access from a dedicated CAM button.
4. Yes (and Android, and wireless screen mirror for Android, but not for iPhones, I think it does wired screen mirroring though?).
5. No :(
6. Yes! And it also doubles as a context menu button. Good interface over all.
Looks dope man.

I've been wanting to do this for my 1999 100, but am still trying to wrap my head around the amount of hours and level of difficulty it will be to "do everything at once". I'm planning on bypassing the stock amplifier as well.

Here is a photo I found somewhere on mud (not my vehicle), this should give you a good idea of what to expect.

View attachment 2899003

This looks awesome! I generally think these stereos look stupid in most cars but it almost looks like it belongs in the LX!

I've used all the Atoto brand Android headunits, but the way the 100 dash is the 10" screen they offer does not work. I do recommend their 7" head units that fit into the factory double DIN hole though. So watch out for any aftermarket 10" 'Tesla' like screen, the way the upper dash protrudes most of the aftermarket 10" screens do not protrude far enough out of the dash with their mounting configuration to allow for the tilt to be functional.

Here is my 9" Android stereo with Rotary volume control that came with my Amp/DSP.

20220120_015951_HDR.jpg

original_f9053fdd-8e3f-4874-9e52-a532cad41dae_20220114_112113_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 2899373

That is clean. Huge question for me.

Does it dim?! That’s a deal breaker for me on all aftermarket stereos.

Or if it doesn’t dim how hard is it to black the screen out? (How many scrolls/ clicks)

That is clean. Huge question for me.

Does it dim?! That’s a deal breaker for me on all aftermarket stereos.

Or if it doesn’t dim how hard is it to black the screen out? (How many scrolls/ clicks)
It doesn't dim yet, but I haven't given up hope. There's another wire to try next time I pull it out: Does the LC100 dimmer wire just not work with some head units? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/does-the-lc100-dimmer-wire-just-not-work-with-some-head-units.1274137/#post-14251102

You can dim manually with a click on the volume knob, a tap on the screen, then three or four taps to lower brightness, and a tap to exit settings. Couple seconds, but does require a few well-placed taps.

@clrussell Found a better way -- one tap of the volume knob then one tap of the context menu to turn the display off. It doesn't seem to totally go off, there is still a small clock and some backlighting going on it seems, but it's not that bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom