Float adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was recently going through my fuel system, trying to stop my vapor lock problems that occasionally happen(once every two weeks maybe). Noticed my fuel level in the sight glass of my carb was pretty high, so I went to adjust my float. The carb is an old 1bbl, I think it was from the end of 1967(d40), with the small sight glass. The measurements were in specifications, or at least close. The raised position was 6mm from the air horn, while the lowered position was 21mm. Specs from my old F engine manual were 5.8/20.0mm.

So, when adjusting the float to get the fuel level in the carb at the proper level, do I disregard the factory specs and just change the raised position by bending the center tab of the float, or do I also need to change the lowered position with the outer tabs of the float. Also, is the proper level really right around the center of the sight glass? Mine is running about 3/4 of the way up, and fills up a little bit once the engine is shut off. Thanks, I only know enough about carbs to get myself in trouble.

i have an old SD40 carb (big sight glass 1bbl) carb on my truck i set the float to 1/3 of the way up rather then 1/2 that it came from the factroy at it seems to help alot on the off camber stuff. when i changed it i just bent the center tab it woorks great. but im sure that someone like Mark (65SWB) will tell you a better way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom