Flickering Courtesy Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Ok, interesting one here. I'd whacked the middle courtesy light pretty good awhile back and then kept blowing fuses to that circuit. Someone here posted how to test and I found it defective. Replaced the light module and no longer blowing fuses. Door and On now work w/o blowing the fuse. Some success!

Both before replacement and now even with new light, when I corner in the truck those overhead courtesy lights will occasionally flicker on/off. I 'think' it's probably one of the courtesy door switches gone bad, but not sure which one. I've read threads on cleaning them here. After 26 years, I'm just tempted to replace all four. Switch for the rear hatch is discontinued.

Thoughts on any other potential causes for the flickering lights?

Your door isn't latched tightly enough. When you turn left or right the door cracks open just enough the switch makes the ground.
You can try to adjust the catch, though it doesn't have much adjustment but maybe enough. You can also remove and rotate the catch so the worn out section is swapped to the other side and it may stay closed more tightly.
Depending on if it's right or left turn will tell you which side to mess with. More likely a front door as they are used more often.
Another check is push the doors from the inside to get the flicker of the light.

Tape a quarter over each of the switches and go for a drive to see if it will repeat. If not, rebuild / replace the switches on the door jambs.

Your door isn't latched tightly enough. When you turn left or right the door cracks open just enough the switch makes the ground.
You can try to adjust the catch, though it doesn't have much adjustment but maybe enough. You can also remove and rotate the catch so the worn out section is swapped to the other side and it may stay closed more tightly.
Depending on if it's right or left turn will tell you which side to mess with. More likely a front door as they are used more often.
Another check is push the doors from the inside to get the flicker of the light.
@Tedward - I think we have a winner here - hard right turns do it, intermittently of course! Did give the drivers front a good push while driving and courtesy lights did come on so I think your assessment of it being the DS front door may be right on. Also opened the door and gave it a good hard slam shut and it stopped the flickering. Haven't had time to play with the catch or flip it over yet to see if that's a quick solve. Just don't do much driving at all these days with stay at home orders and working from home the last 9 months.

@BILT4ME suggested a quarter tapped on the switch.
You could glue couple pieces of gasket paper or felt or plastic or whatever instead. That would push the switch farther when the door is closed breaking the ground and stopping the flicker.
I did that on a switch or two. Cleaning/messing with another door courtesy switch worked, for a awhile. Ultimately I replaced all four.

Given the age of the truck replacing them all is an option I'm considering. Will try the other options first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom