. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Low on oil makes me think rod or rod bearing with that noise. I’ve thrown a bearing in an LS1 and it was the same noise, but just power loss, it was still driveable ish. I ran some thick tractor oil in that bitch(college) and sold it a week or two later.

To little info to make any call on what is actually going on. If oil pressure is okay, not like bearing gone bad. The dipstick light browning, is likely from infrequent oil change possible running hot.

I've seen some real bad PCV system valve and hoses basically allowing way to much build up of pressure in crank case. These engine blow oil from many places.. Spark plugs & coils may be swimming in oil in tubes and plugs loose.

I do see the drip of fresh oil on your upper oil pan rear bolt but you've not shown us much else. This could be from elsewhere around engine flowing back, even from oil drain plug

I don't think you've "puke" out rear main seal.

Could be some FIPG from the rear oil seal retainer plate. Or something that came from above, possible from drain holes in valley at base of starter.

I'd make sure coolant is topped in radiator. Keep adding oil. Watch oil pressure and coolant temp (not to cool or hot ~190F) and that they stay in normal ranges. Stop ever 50 to 100 miles and check/top levels often. Also check transmission fluid level.

Drive it home if you can. Of course, towing would be best.

Hoping for the best, but if this was bought from a dealer I'd be exploring my options for recourse.

Hoping for the best, but if this was bought from a dealer I'd be exploring my options for recourse.

^this. Can’t believe you just bought this and no one disclosed the problem. Actually I can believe it. Hoping for the best on your end.

I hope youre towing it back to whoever you bought it from.

edit: Ahhh COPART auction. Makes sense now. Good luck

Last edited:
Pretty ballsy to buy a car from copart and go on a road trip. Or you're just asking for trouble.

I've bought a few that needed towing. Two local and one sight unseen. Few more that were 100 to 2K miles drive away. It's and adventure getting them home!

The number one rule is do no harm.
Number two, be flexible and vigilante, which you were. Good job!
Three, keep close to population center first few hours.

The number one issue, I'm alert too, is loose spark plugs. This can harm heads. We're seeing plugs blow out more and more. Naturally all fluids, temps and gauges need close attention.

Be interesting to see what you find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom