Flat towing my baby, thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An MH that size has a backup camera system, yes? Good. Leave it on when towing so you can see that the 40 is tracking well and the frt tires straightened back out after the last sorta tight turn.

i would not use a harbour frieght tow bar when a vehicle that nice is on the line .buy a good one and be safe.

did flat towing for years with no issue
common sense and you are golden

those magnetic tow lights are your friend.

I wonder how much it would cost to get a shorter trailer to put the 40 on, to keep your within the 65' you are looking for...heck...I'd even buy a used trailer, and just shorten that. At least that way, I could get a decent cover for the 40 when she is on the shorter trailer, and wouldn't have to worry about any excessive wear and tear being put on the old 40 in flat tow...just thinking out loud :)

If you run the seat belt through the steering wheel it will give slack and let the wheels turn, but not far enough that the wheels will stay in the wrong direction and cause the fj40 to start dragging behind your tow vehicle. The bungee thing sounds good, as long as they are heavy enough that they don't stretch and snap and break something on the dash. Also, some people have said that the X-fer case lubricates itself with the gears, so leaving it in neutral may keep oil from getting where it needs to. I towed mine for 8 hours with the trans and x-fer in neutral and didn't notice any additional wear on either when I took them apart.

Probably the best reason to choose flat towing behind a motorhome (or any large vehicle for that matter) is that if you get in a situation that you need to back up....it only takes seconds to disconnect the tow vehicle and reconnect it when you are headed back in a straight line.

I do like the idea of rear full floater/lock out hubs....but where does one find those in the USA?

Doc

I do like the idea of rear full floater/lock out hubs....but where does one find those in the USA?

Doc

I have no experience with putting hubs on a FF axle, but I've always thought that the same hubs used on the front axle would fit the rear FF axle.

Don

the hubs do fit
it is the axle shaft i have never found ... if someone was to make an axle the right length and splined at both ends i suspect they could sell quite a few.
back in the 80s i did just this, i put locking hubs on the rear of a 40 that i had swapped a FF into. i took a front shaft, cut it to the right length and welded the spline end on.
it worked real well for flat towing, welding an axle shaft wasn't the right procedure but i was poor and the guy that lived behind me was a talented welder.
the setup lasted till i ditched the truck for parts. not sure what ever happened to the axle.

so, yes it does work. yes, the hubs bolt right on.

oh, i remember what happened now. i was running a welded unit and 35s, that setup kept blowing the hubs. as in the locking hubs would come loose from the wheel hub, wear on the locating pins ... worked great for towing and if you had an open diff it would last.

i could see the axle floating back and forth in the tube so, theoretically, it could end up blowing the end cap off ... no? there isn't anything to retain it in place.

If I had the investment of a 40 like yours and a MH like yours, I would also invest in a shorter trailer. As was said, probably a shorter enclosed trailer. That is a cool old truck you got there!

i would not use a harbour frieght tow bar when a vehicle that nice is on the line .buy a good one and be safe.

Now you are just getting testicle. Metal is metal. My son bought one and it is fine. But my main point is with a 40 ft ??? motorhome, he isn't going to have any problems.

I made a 16 foot rail trailer out of moble home axels 37 years ago for my 74 fj40 just the right size tandem axels some people dont like the brakes on a mobile he axel but they worked great for me been across the us several
Times over the years wish i would have put fenders on it and painted it but who cares it works fj40 is sitting on it now being rebuilt kinda a nice having a rail trailer you can get under it and work
On it.

Now you are just getting testicle. Metal is metal. My son bought one and it is fine. But my main point is with a 40 ft ??? motorhome, he isn't going to have any problems.

You have bought stuff from harbor freight before..right?

With all due respect, products from harbor freight are not known for longevity.:doh:

I do not own one product from harbor freight that has ever held up past one job....I always thought thy was the purpose of the place...one use only :)

Doc

If I saw a that motor home towing that fj40, I would take a picture if it and put it in 'mud. Sweet outfit! That 40 should tow fine. There are lots of quality tow bars out there, with the small tires and a bungee on the steering wheel it will tow fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom