Flat Towing Help Needed (not tracking right) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, I was trying to bring a rolling chassis home yesterday but the damn thing would not track right. The front wheels kept turning left or right while I was trying to go straight. As you can see the, the steering rods are all there and then connected to the steering box but that is where the steering system ends (at the box). I have not done any work on this so no blame lands on me for all the PO BS going on in the pics :poop:. I never have this issue when there is a steering shaft, column, and steering wheel attached but I don't see what difference that makes. I towed another cruiser earlier in the day without issue that had a complete steering setup. What is the issue here with tracking?

Thanks,
Drake

1615129756729.JPEG

1615129756450.JPEG

1615129755767.JPEG

My first guess would be caster problem from the extended shackles, compounded by no weight on the front from engine, etc. Just a guess though.

My first guess would be caster problem from the extended shackles, compounded by no weight on the front from engine, etc. Just a guess though.
@Skreddy and @jim land , I did have this issue last year with another one that was complete with drivetrain and OEM shackles. The only difference with that one was the drag link to the OEM steering box was cut. I had to ratchet strap all the steering components tight so they would not move. It was not allowed to turn right or left and I has to skid it around corners. Good thing is was only going 3 miles.

I wonder if removing the steering stabilizer would help, just to free things up. Hate to pay for tow dolly rental but I may have to.

Just a suggestion, but for $99/year or a little more than a one time dolly rental, you could get a roadside assistance plan, and have that flatbed hauled anywhere you want up to 3 times/year. Not to mention, you get to stand there and watch someone else do all the work. My plan has more than paid for itself over the years. 👍😊

I think I would tightly clamp a pair of vice grips onto that steering gear box input shaft, then try to stabilize the vice grips to the frame somehow, then try towing again ???

So then I'm guessing you'll get rid of the manual steering gear box, get rid of the body lift kit spacers, and get rid of those front motor mounts that rip the crap out of Chevy rubber motor mount cushions.

I think I would tightly clamp a pair of vice grips onto that steering gear box input shaft, then try to stabilize the vice grips to the frame somehow, then try towing again ???

So then I'm guessing you'll get rid of the manual steering gear box, get rid of the body lift kit spacers, and get rid of those front motor mounts that rip the crap out of Chevy rubber motor mount cushions.
Yes sir, lots of stuff to correct on the frame but it is super solid and has a clear 67 title.

Ended up renting a tow dolly from Uhaul. 2 hours and done, easy work!

Also just noticed V8 motor mounts were too far rearward, engine would have severely over-heated, too close to firewall, engine heat hits firewall then bounces right back into the engine, no space for prop wash to blow heat out the tranny tunnel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom