Flat towing a 60 series behind an rv (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

upperblack

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello 60 series forum,
I've been a 40 series guy for a decade or so and have even owned an 80 series as a daily driver. Today we purchased our first 60 series and couldn't be more excited to be in the 60 club.

We spend a lot of time traveling in an rv as a family and I always miss having my landcruisers around and as much as I love having a mini van with us :rolleyes: we go to some pretty cool places and are limited by not having a high clearance 4wd vehicle - even my wife would argue this point.
I've read every thread on here regarding 4 down towing that discusses the issue, which has great information, but there is one big question I can't find an answer to.
How do you connect your tow bar to your landcruiser? We have a roadmaster tow bar and no one sells a base plate to bolt on to a landcruiser so you can connect your tow bar to the vehicle.
Do you buy a custom front bumper and have the connection points built in?

For reference, this what connection point basically looks like

image.jpeg

I investigated tow brackets years ago and found nothing, not even something that could be modified to work with my ARB bumper. I talked to Roadmaster, who was unwilling to even discuss a custom mount. I ending up making the brackets.

I investigated tow brackets years ago and found nothing, not even something that could be modified to work with my ARB bumper. I talked to Roadmaster, who was unwilling to even discuss a custom mount. I ending up making the brackets.

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have a pic of what you made?

They are set up for the old school tow bar I used on my 40. Never got around to buying a high dollar Roadmaster unit. The hitch brackets are just bolted on, and easily adapted to one of the Roadmaster mounts.

IMG_4222.JPG

I bought a pair for my '76 FJ40 from Curt Manufacturing. Of course it has a winch bumper, with a flat front plate, for my Warn 8274. My '86 FJ60 project vehicle will have a Warn winch bumper for mounting an 8274-50 winch, but the ends are angled back and not as beefy, so I'll have to work out something a little different. You might have to go with a non-OEM bumper.

I bought a pair for my '76 FJ40 from Curt Manufacturing. Of course it has a winch bumper, with a flat front plate, for my Warn 8274. My '86 FJ60 project vehicle will have a Warn winch bumper for mounting an 8274-50 winch, but the ends are angled back and not as beefy, so I'll have to work out something a little different. You might have to go with a non-OEM bumper.

Yep, I was thinking a non OEM bumper from one of the custom bumper guys on mud and have the attachment plates built in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom