1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flat towing a 40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cavsfj40, Mar 23, 2004.

1. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

I want to tow my 40 behind our rv for our honeymoon. i am wondering if i put it in 2w neutral, if it will tow ok. i have never flat towed anything, but i have trailered a million times. is there anything i should know before i do this. will the cruiser tow straight if it is lined up? it has a 4" spring under and 33's on it if that matters. I am wondering if i make a jumper to the trailer plug on the cruiser, if i can just plug that in at the rv's plug and use that to run the lights/stop/turn signals on the cruiser. i don't see why not, but i am an idiot sometimes. let me know what you all think (not about me being an idiot please). oh and if you are wonderring, the homeymoon will be across the dakotas to montana, yellowstone, to the oregon coast, and then down thru cali, to the 'con, moab arches and the grand canyon, then across the SW to missipi, and then the outer banks. i will repost when i am closer to going but in the event i dont look for a 70s (read brown and tan and orange) rv with green 40 behind it.

2. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, you can definitely do this. Some folks would take off the rear drive shaft, especially if it is a long distance, to save some wear on the tranny/trans. It will track well if the toe-in is correct.

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I never have bothered to remove the rear driveshaft. It is not necessary on 40's as the offset t-case provides lubrication without engine power. (vs centered output Chevy cases for example). Just be sure there's plenty of oil in the axle and t-case and that the u-joints are lubed and you will be fine.
    My experience has been that caster is more important than toe-in for flat towing. After my 4" lift and 33's 2.5 degree shims were necessary for good tracking. If you have not installed any shims then I would recommend this. After shims, I can easily cut in-town 90 degree corners without looking back.
    Instead of fooling with vehicle wiring, I would get a set of magnetic stick on lights-like wreckers use. I believe these are available out of the Northern Tool cataloge.
    I've flat towed my 40 all over the southeast will no issues. Tows great as fast as I've ever towed it (85 mph).

4. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Oh yeah-if you haven't got a tow-bar yet I use the Smittybuilt one for sale at SOR. Probably available elsewhere too. Great solid bar. I don't have a stock front bumper so I had to modify the mounts to work. (My bumper is not flat across the front)

5. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

can i just use shackle mounts to attach the tow bar? I will be making my own. i assume that with the transfer in 2w neutral, the lube in the trans is a non issue because it is not spinning. good toe in and a little caster confirm just what i thought. i just dont want to have to disconnect the shaft every time i hitch up. thanks for the input.