Flat tow with welded diff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone flat tow their 40 with a rear locker? How about a welded diff? Also how do the two differ on the street? I have heard jeep guys say they like welded on the street better because it is more predictable on short wheel base rigs.. Would be really helpful to hear from people who actually have done this, not just opinions. Thanks Tom

Bump!
I`m also chasing info on this I`m about to weld my rear and replace the long side with a short side to work as an open centre but thinking when towing it would put to much stress on the one axle,spider gears and side carries bearings?

cruisertom said:
Anyone flat tow their 40 with a rear locker? How about a welded diff? Also how do the two differ on the street? I have heard jeep guys say they like welded on the street better because it is more predictable on short wheel base rigs.. Would be really helpful to hear from people who actually have done this, not just opinions. Thanks Tom
I've flat towed a 40 for thousands of miles with open and ratcheting diffs. No difference towing.

Things that makes an FJ40 a good trailer are the same things that make a good driver.
-good alignment so it tracks straight and returns to center.
-small radial tires inflated to max pressure.
-remove weight from trailer (huge spare tire, heavy toolbox) and place in bed of towtruck.

HTH

Just currious are we looking for towing issues or doo's and dont's?
Ive only towed my 40 with a ARB obviously not locked, But I also have a Warn FF rear so the hubd are unlocked, Before I unbolted the rear driveline from the pinion, had ALL drive train in neutral/free.
Mine also flat tows like a dream, SOA 35's...the like, My only concern was not having enough weight in the bed of the truck, Like mentioned above, The first time I flat towed the 40, I was making a right turn and the 40 pushed the rear through the corner, Lucky there wasnt any vehicles in the area, But I scared the $#!T out of me.
Good luck

I have exactly what you're describing. It pulls fine as long as the streets are dry. Wet roads=wet shorts!!! Ditto on putting more weight in the tow vehicle. My Tacoma is a little on the light side!!

As for welded street driving, mine doesn't really give me much trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom