Flat tow FJ40 with lockout REAR hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I intend to flat tow my 72 FJ40 (once finished) behind my motorhome. It will not be used for radical rock climbing or anything like that. It will be used as transportation around town, short highway trips and exploring the backcountry. It was recommended that I put a full float rear end in it and lockout rear hubs so all I had to do was unlock the hubs and drive. Anyone have any experience with this?

Great idea, in theory...

In practice, you'll probably have a really hard time finding a full floating FJ40 rear end. They installed some on the FJ60's and FJ80's, which are 2 (FJ60) and more (FJ80) inches wider (and use different brakes, different spring mounts, and...).

Which just saves the rear end, driveshaft and output from the transfer case from being spun, assuming you'd leave the transfer case in neutral. These parts should all last a very long time, especially spinning with no load. And you could probably find good used replacement gears and new bearing to rebuild both the read end and the xfer case at least once, maybe several times for the price of a full floating rear end.

Not to mention finding select able locking hubs that would fit.

this is a good thread on the topic

and this one

this is a good thread on the topic

and this one

Thank you.

I would think for what it would cost to swap out the rear axle you could get a decent trailer to put your 40 on, and you would be able to back it up and have brakes too.

My 40 have dana 60 rear locking hubs , that was a kit from Warn in the late 90 , work fine for flat tow but non longer available

Your option now is a full float conversion flage from ruff stuff or front range with aisin locking hubs

But a trailer is the best for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom