Flat tow damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a front diff, transmission and all the goodies for sale. But shipping will probably cost as much as your own parts car.
I agree with others, but have limited knowledge of the HI used market- def not worth $10k, see if you can do $4k.
His 100 is a 2003, I'm assuming your drivetrain is from the 2000 in your signature, he'll have mismatched gears, so unless he buys a matching 4.3 rear diff he'll need to regear his current rear

His 100 is a 2003, I'm assuming your drivetrain is from the 2000 in your signature, he'll have mismatched gears, so unless he buys a matching 4.3 rear diff he'll need to regear his current rear
Missed that- my bad.
@OP, sorry for the churn

It’s amazing that y’all can set a price with so little information. I don’t recall anything being posted about mileage or condition, other than it sounds like the front diff is blown, and instead of fixing it the current owner did a half assed work around.

If it was originally sold in HI, it’s likely a US mainland 03+ “unicorn” without navigation.

HI isn’t that big, if it was originally sold in HI, it could be low mileage.

It would also seem that you can’t get too far from salt water in HI, so it could be a rust bucket basket case.

Or is this the typical ‘mud “if I’m buying, all 100 series are worth ~$5k (or less), but if I’m selling my 100 series, it’s got to be worth at least $35k”?

He asked a question and I answered with my personal opinion based on the info presented by the OP. If LC's are rare and valuable in HI then awesome, it might be a great deal. (and I can see where prices there would be above average) All I know is that for me, $10k for a LC with a blow front diff or other unknown and serious drivetrain drivetrain issues is a no go for me. Again, that just my 2 cents and based on my experiences where I live.

Question is: Does towing with all four on the ground cause damage and what would repair cost. Slee is best to answer this.

We can ague value forever. Value is what someone is willing to pay. These days, that is a lot.

Ture, buyer gave very little info as to condition of body, paint, rust, interior, ect or milage. Inspection is key to value. Heck, it may be a 90K miles cream puff no NAV.
If I was in HI, I'd be inspecting this one for sure. Their is a number of older 100 series, with more than 250K on them. That sold for more than $12k just last few weeks, in main land.

I can say a flat tow would not scare me. I've run with CDL on dry HWY & City for 100 miles, no issue result.

I've dead stick (engine off in D & idling in N, coasting down mountain passes) for 1 to 5 miles at a time. No issue as result.

Would I allow one of my rigs to be flat towed, no, unless no choice. But I baby them!

I'd be first interested in, why it was towed in the first place.

Reactions: jLB
Agree that Christo would likely be the best person to provide useful info. (The link you gave there is interesting btw but that was about flat towing in TC Neutral from what I saw. Presumably that is not what happened with the vehicle of interest here.) Perhaps OP could give a call to Slee and ask, that would be better than us conjecturing with little info. But then again, it does not seem like OP knows what happened either. So some big unknowns altogether and it then boils to gambling on guesses, which is fine but risky. I'm curious about what happened from a technical interest point of view, but without more info we'll probably never find out. And TBH, seems like OP has not been particularly engaged in the discussion either, even though he apparently joined just for this, but I hope it works out for him and would be curious to read about what he finds out...

How long is a piece of string?

100's and 80's have been flat towed. Transmission in park, transfer case in neutral, steering unlocked. (This is for a AWD setup, if converter to part time it might not apply) Technically the interior oil pump in the transfer case is not spinning,. so the oiling that normally flows through the center of shafts to the oil ports at the gears are not flowing, however there is also no significant load on the gears and they are still splash lubricated. We have not seen any damage from this and I have also spoken to people that have done 1000's of miles like this.

"How long is a piece of string"? Long at one end and short on other!
100's and 80's have been flat towed. Transmission in park, transfer case in neutral, steering unlocked. (This is for a AWD setup, if converter to part time it might not apply) Technically the interior oil pump in the transfer case is not spinning,. so the oiling that normally flows through the center of shafts to the oil ports at the gears are not flowing, however there is also no significant load on the gears and they are still splash lubricated. We have not seen any damage from this and I have also spoken to people that have done 1000's of miles like this.
One would think, whomever was towing would shift transfer case in to N first. But what if, transfer case in H or L for say 10, 20 or 30 miles, and transmission in N during a tow. Any concern?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom