Flat tow a pig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We flat towed ours from Mynot, ND to Vancouver, B.C. with a BJ60!!! Stupid I know :rolleyes:

Yes, it can be done but use a larger vehicle.

Mine was flat towed from California to Texas with a Ram pickup. No problems at all.

I know SharkBait flat towed his 40 with his 80 to Cruise Moab last year...and the pig you will be towing will be much lighter...and that is how I am getting it to you, probably with a dolly. :)

I was considering using my FZJ80, Its a heavy SOB with a wood storage box full or stuff in the back.
It would be slow going, But I would be traveling Hwy 6, Which is quite a chore.
I will do a little bit more soul searching on my end to see how things pan out.
Thanks

We took a '55 carcass (body shell ONLY) from Santa Clarita, CA to Vancouver, B.C. on a trailer WITH brakes behind the BJ60 and I wouldn't do that again either.

John is right on with the braking and emergency manouvers.

Somewhere about 2-3 years ago is a picture of a guy in Utah/Idaho area who rolled his '80 while towing a '55. https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/90693-double-cruiser-rollover.html

Personally, I wouldn't unless you have a big pickup like a Dodge Cummins with weight in the rear to keep it in position.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I would only be driving about 280 miles, I will inquire about my dads truck and or trailer, Im coordinating with Tim to see when he was going to be in Moab

CG, I remember the rollover, He picked up the trailer near my house

I towed this pig on a trailer from Ft. Collins down to Denver with no problems. Don't remember if the trailer had brakes or not. I also hear you can rent tow dollys with brakes on them also. I am not sure what I am going to do when I bring it out to Moab...

My dad is one of those guys who reads the classifieds in newspapers everyday by 5am. He ran across a "toyota suburban" (a rust free 55 with 51K miles, not a dent) sans motor, about a 100 miles away (newberry springs, ca). He hooked up a tow bar to the back of his f250 and attached i to the tow hooks on the 55 somehos. Then he tied roap to the steering wheel and b pillars to secure it, and drove no problems.

Sounded pretty sketchy, but whatever, a $500 pig was worth it, I would have paid more than that just for the two perfect front fenders. He doesn't like 4 wheeling cause' it is too much like work. He spent years of winching trucks loaded with 6 cords of wood up impossible terrain, so I gues he knew what he was doing. Was a wood cutter in Big Bear when you were allowed to make your own roads.

Mine was pulled via tow bar from Tuscon AZ to Victoria TX turned out just fine.

I flat towed mine from Yuma back to Gilbert, AZ and my truck was maxed out in the back. I just took it easy and lucky for me traffic was really light. Check out the pictures. If I trusted the non-existing brakes I would of backed it onto the trailer to keep the motor over the trailers axles.

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom