Flat tire sound from front right. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Proven

RTFM, STEP 6, POST
Threads
Today when my wife pulled into the drive way she said that the front right sounded like a flat tire. I checked and the tire was fine. I pulled it out of garage and there is a grinding thunking noise on the front end. I feel like it is more front right.

I read posts about the oil seals leaking diff oil into the birfield grease that can cause issues, but I see no such thing on mine.

So I had the axle serviced as soon as I bought my truck. I guess I am unlucky this year with odd ball stuff. Do I start by checking for metal in the diff or pulling the flange? Or both?

This was/is my wife's daily driver. Does a sound like a flat tire mean I need to rebuild that side or is there good news? Thankfully my wife heard it when she turned into the driveway and not before.

This truck has not been wheeled since I have owned it. The princess stole it first.

Thank you for any advice.

Wrote this on my iPad. Sorry if spell check made thus crazy.

Sounds like it might be brake related
Maybe a frozen caliper or a warped rotor perhaps

I did a visual on the brake calipers because I read that in the posts. I have that side up on a jack stand now and it looks just like the drivers side as far as the wiper goes. It doesn't look like it is leaking oil. They both look pretty dry.

When I got the tire off I pulled on the brake caliper and looked to see if there was any misalignment.

I will double check now with a wrench once I get a chance. I really do not want to go in there - especially with having a less than 5 to 6 year old front axle rebuild done by a pro.

I will post some pictures of my front end.

You really need to pull off the caliper a check it
Also pull the drive flange first and spin the wheel and see what it does
Then dive into the caliper

Today I got into it. Here are some images from my iPhone.

Caliper is on tight. The bolts would not budge either way. Is there something else I should check?

Flange looks good all the teeth are clean.

Grease looks good behind the flange.

I started the truck and let it spin. It spun fine. I did not hear anything that sounded wrong. I used a stethoscope to listen to the knuckle and it sounded fine.

I am going to add some more grease and button it back up. Take it for a test drive. I really hope all of this was a false alarm.

I did find out my wife never said the brakes were squeaking. The right rear roter is scored to hell.
image-3337857512.jpg
image-4180527918.jpg
image-3471925191.jpg
image-1468162946.jpg
image-1318220014.jpg

I was hoping posting pictures would stimulate some feedback. I'll leave it to simmer some more. I got the tires back on it and I will drive it tomorrow. I am going to listen for the noise again.

Since everything else looked okay. I assume the next thing to do would be rebuild.

Double check that the tires are in good shape. I had one make noise and drag like a flat for many miles before the tread de-laminated. It looked fine until it blew.

Double check that the tires are in good shape. I had one make noise and drag like a flat for many miles before the tread de-laminated. It looked fine until it blew.

+1

Had that sound. Unfortunately it happened to me on a highway and I had a flat spare so I kept driving, albeit slower and slower as the noise got louder. Almost made it home before it finally blew and thank God for friendly cops who took my spare to be repaired.

Kalawang

I had a noise that sounded like tire noise. Rotated the tires, the sound did not go away. When I did the brakes, I noticed the bearing race was scared up. I put in a new set (bearing/race) and the noise went away.

HTH.

I have that exact same noise, only at very slow speed, and not consistent as in a bearing that's on its way out.

Got my birfield rebuild kit from MAF, gonna tear it down this week end see what turns up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom