"Flat Spot" when trying to start '96 80-series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All.... I'm pretty new around here. I'm pretty good at minor mechanical fix-its but I'm not sure where to start looking for this problem. Sometimes the Cruiser fires right up, sometimes the starter doesn't do anything when I turn the ignition key. All the dash lights go on but nothing. I turn it off, try again and it fires up. So far it always fries up on the 2nd or 3rd try. Is this the ignition switch? The starter?
Thanks
Charlie

Rebuild. Starter contacts are usually the first place to start.

EDIT: I would only replace the starter contact to begin. It is something you can do.

Rebuild. Starter contacts are usually the first place to start.

EDIT: I would only replace the starter contact to begin. It is something you can do.
Thanks.... it it can last another week I'll be good!! Otherwise .... it could get interesting ... :)

If that’s it, and it does it, sometimes you can link it along for a bit more time with some whacks from a mallet. Seems to ‘reset’ it a bit.

@charx usually people go with the rebuilt Denso 2.0kW starter from RockAuto. I bought that plus the Dorman contact kit to carry in the vehicle. It's good to have a spare starter on hand.

If that’s it, and it does it, sometimes you can link it along for a bit more time with some whacks from a mallet. Seems to ‘reset’ it a bit.
I love the mallet-whack approach! If that ives me the week I need then I'm whacking it first thing tomorrow!

Before diving into the starter, check physical electrical connections at battery, starter and grounds. Ensure they are tight and not corroded. What is your battery voltage? How old is the battery?

Before diving into the starter, check physical electrical connections at battery, starter and grounds. Ensure they are tight and not corroded. What is your battery voltage? How old is the battery?
It is a pretty new battery in god condition.... but I DID install some USB chargers on the dash and ran them directly to the battery. I will check that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom