Flat Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phares

Mostly Useless
Threads
I'm considering picking up the flat baja rack from the classifieds but I have no experience with roof racks. If you have experience with flat racks for a use other than a RTT can you please chime in? The purpose is to build a family camping/expedition rig so I'm concerned with the lack of walls on the rack as far as loading is concerned.
Currently I am very excited about the gamviti expedition racks but if I could save almost 400$ that would be nice

Thanks in advance.

I just picked up a Gamiviti. I am very happy with it, great rack and a great price. I got the expo with extended basket and mounting hardware. There is only one catch. On the 80 the expo rack cant be run basket down with the lowest mounts. So you need to decide. Basket up with the lowest mounts which sits VERY low to the roof. Basket down, dont buy mounts find Yakima 1a towers and use those. Or save money and get the regular flat rack, no basket, and use Gamiviti low mounts. The last option might be your best one.

PS i was driving through CO and picked it up saving on shipping. The owner was VERY nice and easy to work with.

I went with gamavitI low monuts (30/60), and underdawg's flat rack with front backet. Jason will customize to your liking, which is partly what sold me.

Even with a basket style it's not like you toss things up there and let the basket hold it in. It all get strapped down to secure but they do offer a lil insurance.

Most the flat racks have accessories to hold items. Baja and wind cheetah both have several brackets made for everything from highlift to Jerry cans or water tanks.

The wind cheetah has a pretty cool design that allows you to make your own brackets and locate things as you wish or use theirs

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/rack-accessories.html

I've been running Front runner flat racks on my 80s and 100 for years. Love the system. Much easier to lash and reach. Will never go back to basket type. But could be seduced by a Initi if one came along... :)

South Africans companies Eezi Awn, Front Runner, Hannibal, African out back all make top notch flat racks. Equipt Overland is the big supplier of Eezi Awn in US.

I have a hybrid Defender rack, back end is flat for the tent, front still has the upper rail. I did this so I can run a wind deflector to get air flow over the tent so it's not as much of a giant air brake. It also provides extra tie down points for cargo

I'm considering picking up the flat baja rack from the classifieds but I have no experience with roof racks. If you have experience with flat racks for a use other than a RTT can you please chime in? The purpose is to build a family camping/expedition rig so I'm concerned with the lack of walls on the rack as far as loading is concerned.
Currently I am very excited about the gamviti expedition racks but if I could save almost 400$ that would be nice

Thanks in advance.
Send me a PM of what you after exactly and I'll get you squared away.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom