flat rack on a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have one of the ARB racks with my RTT, but I sort of wish I had gone with a full flat rack. Mainly for when I don't have the tent on there and want to take a canoe or anything like that.

I read in a post, somewhere, that a guy used this ramp as a rack. $100 at Harbor Freight.

Not to get to far off of the topic. (I'm eyeballing flat racks too) I really like the looks of the Bowfin, and the Frontrunner. How bad is the wind noise while unloaded and day to day driving. I daily my 60, and I figure I'll be leaving mine installed on the roof rather than taking it off when not in use.

That may have been the one I read about.

Not to get to far off of the topic. (I'm eyeballing flat racks too) I really like the looks of the Bowfin, and the Frontrunner. How bad is the wind noise while unloaded and day to day driving. I daily my 60, and I figure I'll be leaving mine installed on the roof rather than taking it off when not in use.

I can't hear any wind noise with my Front Runner Slimline.

For what it’s worth, if you are going to haul a canoe or anything along on your racks, Buy some 3/4 black PVC pipe at Home Depot. Slit it the full length and snapped it over my rails. You can’t even see it’s there and it protects from gouging and scrapes and eventually rust.

Last edited:
$170 Canadian so about $130 US.

If you plan on taking the rack on and off then the Bowfin is the best options imho. I can get it on or off my truck with a friend in less than a min. Slightly longer if you use the locking bolts but I don't as in worried about someone stealing it. His latches are top notch and he's a cruiser head. Very active

I have one of the ARB racks with my RTT, but I sort of wish I had gone with a full flat rack. Mainly for when I don't have the tent on there and want to take a canoe or anything like that.

View attachment 2027894

Hi there, do you know how much your roof top tent weighs? I have the same ARB Touring rack and am looking at roof nest tent that weighs 160#. The weight rating of the rack is 165# and am concerned about over loading it. Mine is mounted the same as yours. How is your set up holding up? Thanks!

I have a rack with sides. It's really good for camping and loading it up, over a flat rack. But on a general needs like lumber hauling etc I think flat is better. On another truck I have I am going to use a flat design.
After owning a rack for many years the only advice I can give is not to have it too tight to your roof if you live in a snow area. You need to be able to push a broom under it to clear snow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom