Flat pitman for the FJ80 box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a flat pitman arm for stock FJ80 steering box, do they exist? Are pitman arms interchangeable between Toyotas? As in something like this: Pitman Arm, Drop - Trail Gear

Should be able to have one made/make one from a stock arm and some plate.
pitman1.jpg

pitman2.jpg

Looking for a flat pitman arm for stock FJ80 steering box, do they exist? Are pitman arms interchangeable between Toyotas? As in something like this: Pitman Arm, Drop - Trail Gear

With the stock sector, the spline count, size, is the same as other Toyotas, so interchange. The '80 pitman is curved to clear the panhard tower, have never seen an aftermarket curved pitman?

If you don't change your track bar location at the same time, prepare yourself for bump steer. I have a simple calculator that, based on the lengths and relative heights of the track and drag link, you can see what sort of bump/droop will start inducing unpleasant bump steer.

VmR7QN7.png

With the stock sector, the spline count, size, is the same as other Toyotas, so interchange. The '80 pitman is curved to clear the panhard tower, have never seen an aftermarket curved pitman?
At the rate @richardlillard1 is going, he may not have a panhard tower much longer

Not all of that, he has only broken that part twice, has broken other stuff more often!:hillbilly:
Maybe you should take some time and teach him how to drive

If you don't change your track bar location at the same time, prepare yourself for bump steer. I have a simple calculator that, based on the lengths and relative heights of the track and drag link, you can see what sort of bump/droop will start inducing unpleasant bump steer.

VmR7QN7.png

What are the variables that would affect bump steer on my current setup?

What I'm trying to do is change the steering setup a bit to ditch the weird y-link/inverted T setup
My idea is to have the draglink go directly to the top of the Hellfire arm on the outer hole.

That would interfere with the frame on the passenger side so I was planning on notching the frame and lessen the angle of interference by having a flat pitman arm that essentially raises the draglink.

So - would raising the draglink at the box and the knuckle without moving the panhard introduce bump steer?

Best photo I have at the moment. Draglink would go to top of Hellfire arm via a heim joint on a single bolt.

21765540988_b35e32c1cf_h.jpg

Good point about the panhard bracket. I have the 4WU bracket which is shaped to clear the pitman arm. Should be fine I think if I go with a flat/straight arm?

16503645169_66f9c05633_h.jpg

Maybe you should take some time and teach him how to drive

The thought is; hiring a driver would be more expedient and less expensive?:hillbilly:

What are the variables that would affect bump steer on my current setup?

What I'm trying to do is change the steering setup a bit to ditch the weird y-link/inverted T setup
My idea is to have the draglink go directly to the top of the Hellfire arm on the outer hole.

That would interfere with the frame on the passenger side so I was planning on notching the frame and lessen the angle of interference by having a flat pitman arm that essentially raises the draglink.

So - would raising the draglink at the box and the knuckle without moving the panhard introduce bump steer?

Best photo I have at the moment. Draglink would go to top of Hellfire arm via a heim joint on a single bolt.

21765540988_b35e32c1cf_h.jpg
Its sensitive. Youre changing lengths and relative heights. And bump steer sucks. Id model it. Text me your email addy and I will email you the spreadsheet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom