Flashing Center Diff Lock Light 200 Series (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudders,

I need your help again. Did some research and did not get any solutions. My center differential light keeps on flashing no matter what I do. Here's my description on how it happens:

When starting engine cold from sitting overnight, it would right away be flashing the minute the engine is running. If I press the button once or twice, nothing happens and light is still flashing. When engine gets hot and I press the button nothing still happens. But once engine is hot, I shut off the engine and restart vehicle light is gone. Light would be off no matter how many miles you drive or how many times you restart. But once it sits overnight and gets cold, the light is back.

Can somebody please shed any light on this? By the way, I did replace the battery recently about a month ago when the factory one went bad with a D27F that I had extra. I just recently bought a Die Hard marine platinum D31 to replace it so that the specs is closer to the stock. I do not know if this has anything to do with it. Vehicle seems to drive the same when light is flashing. Any input would be appreciated.

Check the electrical plug connection on the knock sensor

I will try to find the knock sensor. Can you give me some directions on where it is. I will update. Thanks Billfish!

I do not know exactly which is the knock sensor but checked every connector I can see on top of the engine and in the valley that is accessible after removing the cover even in the valley.

Anybody know where it is?

see here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/check-vsc-system-error-pls-help.770967/#post-8795443

To get at it you need to remove the manifold.

Reading it jogged my memory: You might first check the CDL electrical connection on the transfer case. This also comes loose sometimes if knocked or fouled with mud. Good luck.

Billfish wifey came home and reported that light was off when she started in the morning and was off when she restarted in the afternoon to come home. I will see if it is on again tomorrow Monday morning and will report. I will also get my small camera in the valley before I remove the manifold if the light comes back after checking the actual CDL sensor connection on the transfer case. I will update. Thanks for the help Sir! Other inputs would also be appreciated.

Billfish, light was off this morning and when I operated CDL switch, it turns on and off instantly with no issues and does not matter if engine is cold or hot. I guess my problem is gone for now but I will not forget to update this thread in the future when the gremlin comes back and will do all your suggested diagnosis. Thank you Billfish!

I miss my 80!

I don't mean to raise a zombie thread.. But did the OP ever find the fix to this? I hopped in my 200 this morning and the Diff light was flashing. When I got to work I shut the truck off and turned it back on and it was gone. Same problem it appears.

Sorry, no fix.

Same gremlin many of us see occasionally, and no known fix.

Reminds me of the Gremlins I deal with in my SL500.

Thanks guys. Yeah it went away as soon as I got to work. Hasn't come back on.

The worse version of that is I've occasionally found it sticks in 4Lo... and can take
Yeah.. I am really not happy about an electrical gremlin in a Land Cruiser...

At least once, it was more than a gremlin on my 2008. It once refused to shift back in to 4Hi. Took many attempts, starts, stops before it shifted back into 4Hi. So it makes me think it may be more than just the electronic indicator... It's only happened that one time, but it would not be good to have to drive 50 miles out of somewhere in 4Lo. Personally, I do wish the 200 had the MANUAL shifter. If you didn't have a 100 series, it was basically a separate stick-shift, and you physically moved between Hi and Lo. No electronic shift to rely on...

When my gremlin didn't let me shift back out of low range, I disconnected the battery and it immediately worked.

Yeah, my LX had this issue over the weekend. Once the diff light is flashing - no changing from 4H to 4L, and the funny thing was that the front AC would not operate in one instance. This is definitely a serious gremlin. I hate it.

This happens to my wife's LC every time it is parked on an incline with the wheels turned left or right. After driving a bit, parking with the wheels straight ahead, and cycling the ignition it stops flashing. I think there is some bad programing in the stability control system that causes the malfunction if parked with the right sensor inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom