Flashing A/C Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a flashing A/C light on the way home this evening. I pulled out my trusty owners manual and turned to page 136 where it tells me that if I have a flashing A/C light that I should call the dealership. Well, I am not going to do that, I am going to call my Ih8mud friends and figure out what is going on. I will go to the basement after a couple of beers and dig out the FSM and see what it has to say about the flashing A/C light, has anyone had this issue? It was not listed in the FAQ.

Thanks,
John

Looked in the Vol 2 and did not find anything dealing with a flashing A/C light. Going to Vol 1.

PS I did not drink a couple of beers in 13 minutes, am I capable - you betcha!

At out work when that happens on Mercedes, it's telling you the refrigerant level is too low. Post up the year of your rig, and I'll see if Mitchell on Demand tells us anything?

I failed!! I looked on Mitchell online, but didn't find anything related. I do remember my in-laws Camry had a flashing A/C light and it would only blow cold air for a while after cycling the key. It turned-out to need an updated relay for the magnetic clutch for the compressor, (a common problem for Camry's). I wonder if this is what is happening to you?

is not just on camry's, all toyotas model use the same relay, change the relay is a bit epensive (85$us) at the dealer in houston, that shout take care of the flashing

Well...mine did that at the time the fan clutch went south. After I replaced the fan clutch (and recharged the system) it didn't come back. Is it a temperature thing?

I replaced the cabin about a month ago and that's about it for climate control maintenance. I wondering why there isn't something in the FSM about this, if it's not there, then how can the service department figure it out?

As for the magnetic relay, has anyone else had this problem with their LC?

Volume 1, page DI-761 has given me some guidance on troubleshooting the system.

Did you know that if you turn the ignition switch to ON and hold the A/C and recirculation down at the same time the A/C systems goes into a diagnostic mode? I have to count flashes - I think and then look up the codes in the book to see what they mean. More to follow - next week...

my 2000 did this for the 1st time last week on a road trip, it only did it after I stoped for gas.....then(after 5 min) it would stay on solid and work fine.....that was in the 1st day of the trip.......next 6 days no issue.

I had the flashing AC light on the wife's 2003 4Runner. It was a defective relay and replaced easily.

OK, which relay and where in the 100 is it?

OK, had my parts guy ask all the Toy techs......its the relay, very common, ton of them on the parts shelf.......my price is $62, so I am gonna just replace it, even though its working fine now.

Location of the relay and/or a picture would help.

will do when I replace it.

sounds like just in the box on the DS fender

On my 98, it's in the relay box on the driver's side, behind the battery. If you are standing against the fender, it's the top right small rectangle black relay. If you look on the top of the relay cover, it says, "MG CLT".

I will take a look at it tomorrow and we'll see what's up.

Found MG CLT and the relay below it was the exact same relay. I swapped them and have not had any success - anymore ideas before this starts getting expensive??

Replaced the relay with a new one from Toyota and that did not fix the problem.

The codes that it is throwing are not in the book:

Flashing Rear Defrost light & Rear A/C light

A/C comes on for 3 seconds with a solid A/C light - blows cold - and then auto-shuts off with the a Flashing A/C Light

Do we have any Certified-employed by Toyota Mechanics that could point me in the right direction? When you start pricing A/C components your jaw will hit the ground!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom