Flasher relay issue? No signal or hazzard flashers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2f fj40

Hello

If the flasher relay is "clicking"

I deduce it is getting signal, it clicks on with both the hazzard and the turn signal switch

But. No lights flashing

Based on this, is there a reasonable chance the flasher is bad?

I have check other connections and hazzard switch. But before I buy a new flasher relay ... I would be curious as to other opinions

Thanks
Eaj71

what year 40? the early ones had 2 flasher relays, 1 for turn and 1 for hazards.

do the lights come on but no flash? or no lights at all?

No lights at all

If you hear the flasher clicking, it most likely working. I would start at the bulbs looking for power and grounds and work your way to the switch.

Will try again with chasing grounds and such.

But same question
In a sort.

If it is clicking. What might the turn switch condition ? I would think ok?

As
It appears to be activating the relay

friends

more curious...

so when i hook up a multimeter to see if i can get voltage on the outbound side of the flasher relay i get a solid 12 volts this seems to be incorrect
shouldnt this 12 v signal go on and off to some extent? especially if it is "clicking" noise?

it is this way for both the emerg brake switch and the turn signal switch

... more evidence the flasher relay is bad?

any help is appreciated

eaj71

I don't have an electrical schematic for a 80 but have one here for a 79. Power to the flasher comes from the hazard warning light switch, if you are getting a solid 12 vdc from the flasher unit to the turn signal switch you should at least have lights. The flasher also connects to the hazard warning switch and when turned on bypasses the turn signal switch, so if there are still no lights after turning the hazard warning switch on it there could be a hard ground between the flasher/turn signal switch/hazard warning switch. There looks to be a 20 amp fuse feeding the hazard warning switch maybe there is corrosion between the fuse and HWS? I wouldn't think that the flasher unit would click unless it was sensing the lamp wattage.

I took a shot, - bought a new flasher... (ut that wasn't the problem, then I have a spare..)

It WAS a bad flasher switch. It would click, but not send signal.

So, go figure, new flasher cured it.

thanks again for all the help

Eaj71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom