Flash Rust Prevention after wet blasting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ceylonfj40nut

Waiting for Barn Time
SILVER Star
Threads
Doing a DIY paint strip with a 4400psi power washer and play sand as wet blast. Need to protect the metal from flash rusting. Heard Klean Strip from HD works well. Has anyone used this to prevent flash rusting on cleaned metal? What other products have you used for this purpose that has worked well. Want to prime soon after so metal work can be done.

I have never had any luck with products preventing the flash rust. I found with experience that I prep for paint immediately after sandblasting. I found if I let it sit for more than a day by the next morning I have flash rust. When that happens I apply Oxpho to neutralize the rust and then paint immediately.

Problem is the water you are using contains salts. Which are what turn iron to iron oxides (rust). While the area is still wet mix phosphoric acid (Ospho or Home Depot has concrete and metal prep, also just phosphoric acid) in a bleach safe pump sprayer. Cut it with 50% water. Spray on the surface and use a leaf blower to dry it. Don’t do a lot of surface area at once. Completely dry. The areas you do this will require solvent cleaning before any coati gs be applied over top. It will remove the white powdery dust that is the biproduct of the conversion process. Use a scotch brite to help clean. I would use prep solve or wax and grease remover in a paint gun to apply.

Doing a DIY paint strip with a 4400psi power washer and play sand as wet blast. Need to protect the metal from flash rusting. Heard Klean Strip from HD works well. Has anyone used this to prevent flash rusting on cleaned metal? What other products have you used for this purpose that has worked well. Want to prime soon after so metal work can be done.
Can you describe this wet blasting method that you're using? I have to clean up the rain gutter soon. Curious to know what equipment is required.

Thx

Using this

Placed in dry play sand and connected to this guy

99389D41-7365-4D70-9709-0D48F2335468.jpeg

So this kinda goes along with something I was told that you don’t want bare sheetmetal left untreated/uncoated overnight. Whether that means 12 hours or just because of the condensation between the temperature ranges can begin the corrosion cycle, and whether this holds true for an inside shop environment, it was never really made clear. Nonetheless, I’ve made it a point to get any sheetmetal I’ve stripped, cleaned primered and sealed before leaving unattended for any length of time. This has always concerned me when talking about sandblasting an entire body and frame. It’s still gonna take a long time just to strip it, and twice as long to clean and primer it. To try to adhere to the idea of not leaving anything stripped overnight, I’ve been doing the stripping and primering in sections so as not to overextend.
No idea if this is correct, maybe someone more experienced can chime in on that.

Dustless Blaster has an additive that prevents the metal from flash rusting you might look into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom