Flaring help please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've adjusted the kick down cable back and forth and can't seem to find a spot where the flairing is no longer happening. If I loosen to too much, it seems to happen when I move from dead stop, if I move to tighten it happens occasionally on the 2-3 shift at light throttle, but not at full throttle. I've left it there since it seems to only happen at certain light throttle. I'd like to get it adjusted correctly, as it was fine before its last ATF change service at the dealer.

I've read many threads on how to adjust the kick down cable, but none on how to tell when its just right on my 1991 LC.

Anyone have any help/advice to share?

Double Check fluid levels

I was having a flare problem on my 93, turned out to be the fluid level being too low after a fluid change by a reputable shop. I never even considered this could be the problem, spent a lot of time ajusting cables , TPS, etc, and then I checked fluids at 500 miles past the service like I always do, d'oh the fluid was about 2 quarts low. The flaring stopped soon after.

Razorshock said:
if I move to tighten it happens occasionally on the 2-3 shift at light throttle

I think sometimes that's the best you can do with an A440F; seems to be a pretty common quirk. Not good that it just started after servicing, though. Personally, I'd drop the pan and check the filter...

Have you checked the fluid level as per the owner's manual?

Also, as far as I know, "just right" on the kickdown cable simply means getting your (down)shift points where you want them.

Curtis
91FJ80, 227K

I've adjusted and fidgeted with just about every variation available on my 93 to no avail. :mad:

Good luck it can be extremelly frustrating. :eek:

Thanks for the replies.

I'll do a more thorough check of the ATF fluid level, engine warm and idling and see if that is the issue. If not, like CJF said, I'll live with it...

After reading many other threads about this issue, it seems there are some who've chased the problem with much more tmie and resources than I'm willing to commit at this time. Yet others found a simple adjustment or fluid level change has fixed it. I hope I end up in the latter group!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom