Flare Repair on an 80 (LX450) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just fixed the rear flare on my LX450 and I thought I'd share a little trick I came up with to repair it.

Parts & Supplies
1) Some Stainless Steel Chain
2) Devcon Epoxy
3) Zip Ties
4) Nails with the head cut off
5) Double Sided Automotive tape

This was the rear passenger flare (right hand).

Steps:

Completely removed the flare from the vehicle

Remove the plastic cover on the inside of the vehicle

Prep (always the most important part:
1) Clean up the area where the old plastic standoffs/brackets/supports were
2) Scuff up the area to promote adhesion
3) Wash and dry the flare

Chain:
Picture should explain this part 100%
(I bought 1 foot of stainless chain off Amazon)
Three link section per broken standoff
A little bit of double sided automotive tape to hold chain in place where you want it

Mix up your Devcon per directions (any color, I just had some clear laying around). Marine tex, or similar would also work.

Apply the Devcon all over the two end chain pieces. The middle piece of chain is standing up. I had it tilted toward the top. You're just going to have to play with the chain to see what works best. I wanted the two end pieces as flat against the flare as I could get them. I found pushing the two outside piece so they met in the middle worked best (see pictures).

Prop it up so the Devcon will stay put. I used a clamp and clamped it to a work table along the top edge. I had to scrape the Devcon back in place. I'd clamp it in place prior to starting if I were to do it again.

Let it sit and dry/harden overnight.

Zip Ties and nails (see Pictures):
Feed zip ties through the support holes in the body (work inside of the vehicle, out)
feed through the middle piece of chain and back into the vehicle
Nail, or something similar, is to give the zip tie something to tighten against
tighten a little bit
Check everything on the outside is lining up
Tighten that screw behind the bumper cover
Finish pulling zip ties tight

*Double sided tape along top edge not needed. Didn't add any value.
IMG_3752.jpg

Closeup:
IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

Some double sided tape helps hold the nails in place while you're fiddling with the zip ties. OK, they barely do any good but they helped a little. Would be way easier if you get someone to hold the flare in place from the outside while you work from the inside.
IMG_3754.jpg

Nice and tight against the body again. :)
IMG_3755.jpg

Last edited:
***A little note on why I did zip ties vs. something stronger.

Someone will come up with a stronger solution. I initially thought doing an eye bolt, washer, nut setup.

1) I did zip ties to intentionally create a weak link in the system. Figured if something had to give, a broken zip tie is a super easy fix.

2) The zip tie also gave me a little extra wiggle room if I didn't get the chain in the exact right spot.

3) I didn't have to put any twist/torque on the chain

The two middle broken attachment points have been broken for at least 8.5 years. They were like that when I bought the LX back in 2010. Sooooo, I knew they didn't need to be that strong. Just wanted the flare tight against the body.

I have a flair that was "liberated" by a branch recently. Now there's hope for it. The LX just doesn't look right, missing the flair. Thanks!

whats a flare??

I have a flair that was "liberated" by a branch recently. Now there's hope for it. The LX just doesn't look right, missing the flair. Thanks!
When I had a flare ripped off by a tree on the trail, I figured I had three options:
  1. Don't wheel it
  2. Fix it
  3. Remove the rest of them
Option one wasn't even an option (it is a Land Cruiser). And since I knew this would just keep happening, I went option 3. For me, it is the right choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom