Flare removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys. Does anyone know what it entails to remove the southeast Toyota flares off of a 200? Is it just glued? Looks like to get aftermarket bumpers on you'd have to take off the flares.
Thanks!

Only one I remember with both flares and a bumper.

Flares are bolted but the clear coat has likely rubbed through and marred the paint due to road vibrations where the flare and body meet.

upload_2017-4-11_12-32-30.png

So probably need to cut the flare?

Talk to @PaulLx470 as he removed his. Trouble was he found it had marred the paint underneath due to grit, dust, etc. Can't remember if he decided to leave his on at this point, but he has definitely removed his at least initially, and could give you info...

Maybe he'll chime in here since I just pinged him...

@Desert Nomad originally had flares too - he may chime in with a helpful tip

Talk to @PaulLx470 as he removed his. Trouble was he found it had marred the paint underneath due to grit, dust, etc. Can't remember if he decided to leave his on at this point, but he has definitely removed his at least initially, and could give you info...

Maybe he'll chime in here since I just pinged him...

Hello all. So, the front flares are simply bolted on. The rear flares (other than the strip on the door) are bolted on as well. However, the strip on the rear driver/passenger doors is stuck on with 3M tape. Since my rig is 6 years old, it was a sonofagun to get off. Once you're able to get up underneath the plastic strip enough to start pulling it off, you will inevitably leave some old 3M tape on the door. I had rubber gloves on and simply pressed on the edge of the 3M tape and "rolled" it forward slowly until gone. Each door probably took 20-30 minutes each.

Undoubtedly, you will have scratch marks from where the flares edge has rubbed against the paint/clear coat. I have had all 4 fenders wet sanded and buffed, and unfortunately still have scratch marks where it wore down too far. So, I have been quoted $400-$500 by a local body shop to paint/blend all 4 corners which will make my rig look new as it literally doesn't have a single ding. Do I regret removing the fender flares? No, but I did have some initial reservations. However, with them removed, it's such a cleaner and less busy look. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

I had the flares installed and exact same thing as Paul said but in the installation instructions the shop had all flares were meant to have a rubber weather seal as well 3M double tape to stop them vibrating and damaging the paint but even then mine worked their way loose and ended up leaving scratches.

If you're keeping the flares and want to install an aftermarket bumper, easiest would be to only unbolt the flares where they attach to the bumper and remove the bumper then you can mark out where to cut the flares while their in the proper position on the fender.

IMG_4668.jpeg

You can faintly see the scratches left with the flares removed, much more noticeable in person.

20161106_175136.jpg
20161106_155125.jpg

I had the flares installed and exact same thing as Paul said but in the installation instructions the shop had all flares were meant to have a rubber weather seal as well 3M double tape to stop them vibrating and damaging the paint but even then mine worked their way loose and ended up leaving scratches.

If you're keeping the flares and want to install an aftermarket bumper, easiest would be to only unbolt the flares where they attach to the bumper and remove the bumper then you can mark out where to cut the flares while their in the proper position on the fender.

View attachment 1438996
You can faintly see the scratches left with the flares removed, much more noticeable in person.

View attachment 1438998 View attachment 1438999
Which bumper is that? Do you like the function?

Which bumper is that? Do you like the function?
TJM T3, can't fault it. I've landed on it quite a few times in the desert, put it threw 2 taxis, a Honda accord and Camry, smacked it on a few concrete walls and into a steel gaurd rail. All that caused a light layer of the pc to peel off and nothing more noticeable than that.

Hello all. So, the front flares are simply bolted on. The rear flares (other than the strip on the door) are bolted on as well. However, the strip on the rear driver/passenger doors is stuck on with 3M tape. Since my rig is 6 years old, it was a sonofagun to get off. Once you're able to get up underneath the plastic strip enough to start pulling it off, you will inevitably leave some old 3M tape on the door. I had rubber gloves on and simply pressed on the edge of the 3M tape and "rolled" it forward slowly until gone. Each door probably took 20-30 minutes each.

Undoubtedly, you will have scratch marks from where the flares edge has rubbed against the paint/clear coat. I have had all 4 fenders wet sanded and buffed, and unfortunately still have scratch marks where it wore down too far. So, I have been quoted $400-$500 by a local body shop to paint/blend all 4 corners which will make my rig look new as it literally doesn't have a single ding. Do I regret removing the fender flares? No, but I did have some initial reservations. However, with them removed, it's such a cleaner and less busy look. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

You still got the flares? Blizzard Pearls is right up my alley

Bump- Has anyone found a solution for quieting down fender flares that vibrate at speed? One of mine makes noise during limited circumstances (70 mph+ in cold temps) but it’s getting annoying. Double-sided tape or other adhesive? Or some way to beef up (or replace) the gasket?

Ideally I’d like to remove the things altogether, but like others I’ve found a lot of scratching underneath. Any suggestions appreciated.

I took mine off last fall and found all the scratches underneath. My solution was to go wheeling in Moab and pin stripe the whole rig. You get used to it.

I have a set of gold flares should anyone want them.

I took mine off last fall and found all the scratches underneath. My solution was to go wheeling in Moab and pin stripe the whole rig. You get used to it.

I have a set of gold flares should anyone want them.

Good point, I’ve thought about this approach as well! Any tips for the best way to remove the sticky piece on the doors?

I used a heat gun to get the bulk of it off. Then I used 3M 08987 adhesive remover on the rest. It worked OK.

I'm going to have a stab at removing mine this weekend. Wish me luck. I'm certain it will be a pain in the butt as the previous owner user a lot of silicone II caulk to hold them in place when they would get loose.

Why not just use a strip of 3M clear bra and then put the flares on top of that to mitigate the scratches?

I removed them from our old 2000 LC after they were on for many years. It wasn't hard to do, just use Goof Off, naptha, or some other weak solvent to remove the tape residue. The paint was damaged in a few places where the tape came loose and acted as sandpaper.

I want to take a moment to mention that what ever idiot that installed my fender flares for the previous owner that decided to use silicone caulk, that I hate you and that was a poor choice. After 2 hours of rubbing, scrapping and various solvents, I still have a long way to go at the front.

B032CE28-8D41-425C-A71A-FE52BB0BFE32.jpeg

2A519DEF-EEC0-4B9B-A4AD-74CE8C2EBC30.jpeg

01D0F238-9AC9-48C8-9BC5-7A2B53349FF8.jpeg

306248C6-3DEA-45EB-82EC-100C08E1225B.jpeg

E0ACC15A-ADE6-4606-828B-A54541E2A02D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom