Flare Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
for those of you that have Line-X'd the flares...

When you reinstalled the flares did you use the rubber gasket between the flare & body?

Just pulled the flares last night (the ones that were still attached anyway. :D) and I'll also need to do some repair (again) to the mounts on the inside of the flare. A couple of the mounting tabs have broken off. I had repaired them before using epoxy, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something stronger/better to use? ???

??? Yeah, anyone (C-dan) have part #'s for the flare gaskets and the mounting tabs. I hope to pull mine this weekend and get the duplicolor out. Hell, might go over board and spray it all, then I wouldn't need to pull the flares??? 8) ;)

ovrroks,

I used JB Weld on the tabs inside the flare. Mine are coming off (again) this week to see if the fit can be improved. The lower rear bracket is bent and I'm having trouble getting it back to the original shape. I tried to reuse the gasket the first time they came off because the gasket is single-use and I didn't want to use a new one until I was sure the fit of the flare would be good. IMHO, a new gasket will have to go back on or you will have an ugly 1/8" gap between the body and the flare.

Seminole,
I think the tabs that ovrroks is talking about are the ones that are part of the fender flare. They are thin plastic that is molded as part of the flare and they get sheared off when you scrape rocks and trees. The only permanent fix that I know of is to buy a new flare and have it painted.

I'm thinking about one of those plastic welding kits they sell at Harbor Freight. Anyone tried one of those yet?

-B-

The 93-94 flares are fiberglass and less likely to break the tabs but more likely to transmit damage to the body in an impact.(Ya pays yer money and takes yer pick).
A full set of flare gaskets lists for about $105.00. There are different colors used depending on body color. The natural color nylon pins are $2.33 each and the yellow body-side clips are $.69 each. 8)

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4307;start=0#msg31997 date=1060796945]

I think the tabs that ovrroks is talking about are the ones that are part of the fender flare. They are thin plastic that is molded as part of the flare and they get sheared off when you scrape rocks and trees....

-B-

[/quote]

Those are the ones!

Dropped the flares off today and they should be good to go tomorrow!

Hey C-Dan, Whats up with having to know the VIN # every time I call to order a part? I went to order the flare gaskets and they told me they need the VIN# to order them ??? Production date wasn't good enough... I understand getting the right part by refernecing the VIN, but they are a rubber gasket!!! are there REALLY that many choices for a black rubber fender flare gaskets for a 07/95 production date Land Cruiser? I guess I need to start carrying a copy of my VIN # in my wallet for every time I need to order something.... :-\

Um,.....well, ...............I guess yer needin' a new favorite dealer ::)

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

No trained monkeys here ;)

I know, I know .... I need to quite my damn whining... :-X

But I have to rant that the phone call to order the parts took nearly 20 minutes (O.k it was 19 minutes and 28 seconds but whose counting... phone at work has one of those nifty timers that tell you how long you've been on the call :p) and I really began to question if the discount was worth the pain...

O.k., I'm done for now. Please resume your normal broadcast day... 8)

Thin HD double sided tape works wonders!!

Hi Wrench,

Do you have a preferred brand and source? Can you post a picture of what you use? One of my strips is in good shape except that the adhesive is shot because I pulled it off. I would like to reuse it if possible.

-B-

Hi Beo ,

Not sure if this is of help , but I've used the adhesive that you get from automotive paint stores before . It's a double-sided tape thats used for strips , and the like . Same stuff holds down the decals on the 80 ; 'Full Time 4WD' etc . It may have been 3M , not sure ... damn sticky though :)

Tyler

well for what it is worth,
I used to work in a body shop and we used the 3m brand 1/2 " wide "moulding adhesive" the stuff is about 1/8" thick and conforms to curves well. if you cant get it to bend the way you want it too you can get creative with a razor blade and get it to work well. pretty sure you can get it at most auto body supply stores.
on to the plastic welding question someone raised earlier, not sure about the harbor freight ones but the Mac tools model works really well as far as strength. It is difficult to get a smooth texture when you are done but it can work really well for non cosmetic areas of the car. luckily my entire pig is non cosmetic so no issues there for me.
Dave

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4307;start=msg32602#msg32602 date=1061056313]
Hi Wrench,

Do you have a preferred brand and source? Can you post a picture of what you use? One of my strips is in good shape except that the adhesive is shot because I pulled it off. I would like to reuse it if possible.

-B-

[/quote]
I use Scotch 3M mounting tape. It is heavy duty. Holds up to 2 lbs. 1/2 inch wide double sided foam tape.

Tyler, Dave, and Wrench,

Thanks for the pointer to 3M tape. 1/8" seems too thick for the flare strip but I'll get some and check it out.

Dave,
The plastic tabs inside the flare are what I wanted to "weld" with the plastic welder. You can't see them. They break off easily when you rub up against rocks and trees. :D

-B-

-B-
The welder should work for that application. the kit I used used what lookid a lot like a soldering gun to heat the area and then some mesh screen and resin to put over the top of the whole mess. not a pretty process. But if you line xd in black you can touch it up with undercoating. also available from auto body supply places in a spray can. It is definitely a duller finish and not as durable but will work ok to cover repairs.
Dave

Got the flares back yesterday. they look pretty sweet, (I'd take a pic but my new digi camera isn't here yet) but I didn't know they would shoot both sides of the flare so now I have to cut some of the liner away to reattach the broken plactic mounting tabs. I wish I would have know that before they sprayed them because the coating would strengthed the mounts.. :-\

Bay Area Line-X originally misquoted me on the price of $100+tax,, but they honored the quote :D Normal price would have been $140-$150 for a complete set of flares.

Does spraying them make them harder? What I mean is does it make the plastic not flex when you hit something? Like a tree? Because I remember hitting a tree with my rear drivers side one and it just bounced off it.

I am pulling my flares off and Line-Xing the pattern of the flare onto the body (after patching the mounting holes).

I have seen similar pics and I think it will look great and prevent the ol tree rip that I tend to get now with them on.

But now, you'll get a dent. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom