Flange stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was working on installing new CVs and while installing the flange, it was not going on smoothly, so against my better judgement I decided to tap it on with a rubber mallet to get it to sink the rest of the way, it started to go then stopped part way and began pushing the CV out, I gripped the back side to hold it in place and continued to mallet away until it was not going any further, realizing I may have an issue with the flange (or CV) I went to extract the flange unsuccessfully with pry bars and now it appears to be permanently stuck on the cv in this one spot.

Any suggestions before I destroy the flange and CV and start over? /s

IMG_1306.jpeg

Guessing you’ve installed aftermarket CVs…This problem arises because manufacturers of aftermarket CVs don’t use the same process to “cut” the outboard shaft splines as what Toyota uses.

Just some friendly advice from someone who's made many mistakes working on cars in the past. I find when my thoughts start to lean towards grabbing a hammer it's a good sign that I need to investigate the situation further before whacking on stuff. haha.

Not always, but usually.:D

Guessing you’ve installed aftermarket CVs…This problem arises because manufacturers of aftermarket CVs don’t use the same process to “cut” the outboard shaft splines as what Toyota uses.
Yes

Last edited:
I was working on installing new CVs and while installing the flange, it was not going on smoothly, so against my better judgement I decided to tap it on with a rubber mallet to get it to sink the rest of the way, it started to go then stopped part way and began pushing the CV out, I gripped the back side to hold it in place and continued to mallet away until it was not going any further, realizing I may have an issue with the flange (or CV) I went to extract the flange unsuccessfully with pry bars and now it appears to be permanently stuck on the cv in this one spot.

Any suggestions before I destroy the flange and CV and start over? /s

View attachment 2856579
you did remove the snap ring?

When seating the flange, I've found this process works really well.
-Find a long bolt that threads into the hole in the center of the axle,
-apply pry pressure on this bolt, or even pulling with pliers should do
-have someone rotate the axle front and back repeatedly

edit: I originally tried this with someone standing on the brakes and shifting between d-n-r repeatedly (engine running), but this is dangerous and stupid

Last edited:
it can not be , take a look you , you can pull this out with the pulley unless that snap ring went in , no idea how that posible
The CV came without a snap ring, I'm having to reuse the OE one.

Buy the kit of new ones from Cruiser Outfitters. You need to use the correct thickness to avoid problems, plus reusing old circlips has resulted in failure and subsequent damage. The CO kit is like $6.

Buy the kit of new ones from Cruiser Outfitters. You need to use the correct thickness to avoid problems, plus reusing old circlips has resulted in failure and subsequent damage. The CO kit is like $6.
Thanks, I'll check them out

There are snap rings that come in different sizes to hold the axle in the hub/flange and are not supplied with the axle. The D ring, which probably also goes by other names, holds the axle in the differential/axle housing, and is normally included/installed on the axle. I'm thinking there may be some confusion happening here.

👍

C_Clips.jpg

If you're talking about the outboard C-clip do not reuse that under any circumstance unless you can verify it is exactly the same size as original. Those have been known to fail (somewhat often) when re-used and can cause catastrophic damage if/when the axle pulls out of the hub.. Toyota marks them one time use for a reason - it's tough to remove them without deforming them and it's difficult to tell it's deformed.

If you're talking about the outboard C-clip do not reuse that under any circumstance unless you can verify it is exactly the same size as original. Those have been known to fail (somewhat often) when re-used and can cause catastrophic damage if/when the axle pulls out of the hub.. Toyota marks them one time use for a reason - it's tough to remove them without deforming them and it's difficult to tell it's deformed.
I won't be, I'm ordering this set:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom