Flange nut just spinning on studs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
I wanted to replace my studs, cone washers, washer, and nuts because I noticed some of them wouldn’t torque down to spec. Tried using the two nut method and the nut just spins on the stud. Could I use some JB weld on the stud and stud to try and form them together? When loosening the stud, the stud would come with it?

Last edited:
Your post is confusing...... Your saying a bolt is spinning on a stud? Do you mean your nuts are spinning on your studs?

i-told-you-to-bolt-up-4-studs-and-you-shut-14350547.png

Assuming you meant "nuts" instead of bolts..... If my assumption is correct than I am curious why the nuts would just spin on the studs.

Double nut method

Step 1: Take two nuts that are the correct thread pitch and screw nut#1 onto the stud.

Step 2: Screw nut#2 onto the thread until it contacts nut#1.

Step 3: Using two wrenches, reverse nut#1 while tightening nut#2 forward jamming the two nuts together.

Step 4: Use 1 wrench on nut#1 (the inside nut) and remove)loosen the stud.

I hope this helps, good luck

Disclaimer: I have successfully used this method numerous times but never on a wheel/hub....

Last edited:
Your post is confusing...... Your saying a bolt is spinning on a stud? Do you mean your nuts are spinning on your studs?

View attachment 2615860

Assuming you meant "nuts" instead of bolts..... If my assumption is correct than I am curious why the nuts would just spin on the studs.

Double nut method

Step 1: Take two nuts that are the correct thread pitch and screw nut#1 onto the stud.

Step 2: Screw nut#2 onto the thread until it contacts nut#1.

Step 3: Using two wrenches, reverse nut#1 while tightening nut#2 forward jamming the two nuts together.

Step 4: Use 1 wrench on nut#1 (the inside nut) and remove)loosen the stud.

I hope this helps, good luck

Disclaimer: I have successfully used this method numerous times but never on a wheel/hub....
LMAO late night and early morning so I totally screwed that up.

The method you suggested is exacting what I tried last night. But when I try to loosen nut #1 when #2 is already up against it, nut #1 just spins and doesn’t back the stud out. Or it will turn nut #1 and #2.

LMAO late night and early morning so I totally screwed that up.

The method you suggested is exacting what I tried last night. But when I try to loosen nut #1 when #2 is already up against it, nut #1 just spins and doesn’t back the stud out. Or it will turn nut #1 and #2.

Sounds like you have either stripped the stud or one of the nuts is not the correct sized thread.

You could try a stud puller of some sort....

Maybe someone else can chime in with better advice.

Good luck

Sounds like you have either stripped the stud or one of the nuts is not the correct sized thread.

You could try a stud puller of some sort....

Maybe someone else can chime in with better advice.

Good luck
I think the stud is stripped. I know for a fact the new nut; #2, is right because I bought replacement parts for all of them. That’s why I was thinking of JB welding the nut to the stud and then see if that will pull the stud with it. Just a thought I had.

Pound on the end of the stud to flatten it out some then you can use the single nut to remove the stud when it gets stuck

It works, I've done it when trying to loosen the cone washers lol

Or if you're replacing the studs just put a pair of vice grips on them
So by pounding on the end of the stud to flatten it, it would cause it the nut to not be able to be removed? And in theory, when backing the nut out, should bring the stud? Yes I am replacing studs, cone washers, washer, and nut with brand new hardware.

So by pounding on the end of the stud to flatten it, it would cause it the nut to not be able to be removed? And in theory, when backing the nut out, should bring the stud? Yes I am replacing studs, cone washers, washer, and nut with brand new hardware.
Yes.

Would that still work? Because on some of the studs it seems like where the nut is, it will just spin. Not even back out, or tighten.

well yes it would work but sounds like the threads are stripped so maybe not

Just grab it with vice grips
Yeah that’s what it seems like. The threads are stripped where the nut is, and won’t back out cause it can’t catch. And vise versa.
Or weld it
I don’t know how to weld lol. I know it’d prob just be a spot weld

Vise grips, get them so tight that you have to use regular pliers to lock the vise grips shut....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom