Flaky OEM alarm workarounds (including passive arming) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

So there is lots of great information on mud about replacing the stock alarm on our trucks, but what if you're a cheapskate like me? What can you do about the annoying alarm that only locks or unlocks when it wants to? Is it the weather, the time of day, or only times when I'm in a rush? Also, how do you stop it from locking all the stupid doors when you turn the ignition on? :mad:

Well, this short thread is just a summary of what I did to get my alarm to work OK for me, without spending any money or too much time. This solution may be less than ideal for some of you. :doh:

I have a 97 LX with (what I believe is) the RS3000 alarm.

The Problems:
1. Locks the doors automatically (annoying) when you turn it ON
2. Sometimes the alarm does not arm (at least I can still lock it)
3. Sometimes the alarm does not disarm (very annoying and usually occurs at inappropriate times!)
4. Alarm randomly decides to beep or not to when arming, disarming

First, I studied the RS3000 alarm operators manual that I downloaded from the Tacoma forum. For some reason, I could not find the one referenced by many that is supposed to be on Slee's site (maybe the location changed?).

The Solutions:
1. The factory alarm has the ability to disable the autolock feature. To do this, complete the following:
a. Get in the truck and leave the drivers door open.
b. Turn ignition ON then OFF (ACC worked for me) 5 TIMES IN A ROW. Do this quickly.
c. Close the door. Open the door. Close the door.
d. Turn of the ignition.

Problem one solved. :D If you want to turn this feature back on, just change step "c" above by only shutting the door once.

2 & 3. First try replacing the key fob battery. You could also try moving the antenna. When you find that doesn't work and you don't want to spend money on a new alarm, you can opt to set up the stock alarm for passive arming.

Passive arming does not lock your truck up. All it does is arm the alarm without using the key. Why do this? Well, after passive arming is used it gives you a set amount of time to open any door (on my LX, anyway), then turn the ignition ON to disarm. You can also disarm with the fob (if it works, but ONLY IF you did not use the fob to arm the system). I will summarize this later...

To passively arm:

a. Turn the ignition ON
b. Press and hold both fob buttons until the LED status light on the dash comes on.
c. Press the "top" fob button (the one furthest from the key chain, I believe) to change the arming setting. Each time you press the button, the alarm setting will change to one of three settings: Passive arming ON, passive arming OFF, or Valet mode. The Toyota directions are misleading here. If you followed the instructions from Mr T and wanted to use Valet Mode (no alarm, but locking and unlocking from the fob works, which is also a good option for some), you would press the button 3 times rapidly. This would only quickly cycle through the options, it wouldn't necessarily be the one you wanted.

I know that is clear as mud. Just try it.

d. Stop cycling through the 3 options (pressing the fob button) when you get to the one you want. How do you know? Good luck. If your piezo chirper works, you may hear the following:

passive arming - one chirp
standard arming (with fob only) - two chirps
valet mode - long chirp

e. Turn the ignition to OFF.

It is also useful to increase the passive arming wait time from the standard 15s to 30s (To do this, just follow auto locking instructions above except start with the drivers door closed. At step "c", open and shut the door 3 times).

This 30s time limit only counts when all the doors are shut. So, when I get somewhere, I have time to get my kid out of his seat, get our stuff, go back to my door and then lock them all. The alarm will arm as I'm walking away (if the piezo is ON, it is a long 3s beep). When I get back, I can use the fob to disarm. If it doesn't work, I have 30s to open any door and put the ignition to ON before the horn starts.

So this is not ideal, but it is better than having the alarm go off upon returning to the truck. BTW, turning the ignition ON-OFF-ON quickly will turn off the alarm.

Important note: If you arm with the key fob as usual, the passive arming time limit to turn the switch to ON will not work and your alarm WILL activate when you open the door with the key. :eek:

For me personally, this is worth the trouble since my fob doesn't unlock about once every couple weeks. This may be different once spring time rolls around.

4. Good luck here. Mine doesn't care if the piezo is set on or off. Seems to be totally random. Maybe someone else has a solution for this one!

OK, I hope this helps somebody...sorry for the lengthy details... :)

-Michael

Thanks for the write up! Have a similar prob in my 97LX also. Not nearly as bad as yours though, only once or twice a month it won't arm (at least doesn't chirp when locking with fob). Sometimes I get partial chirps, or it chirps but doesn't lock.

I have made it a habit to check the rear hatch, it seems most likely to not lock with the rest.

You mentioned moving the antenna... where would i find that in order to move it? I assume it is not shared with the radio antenna?

Thanks again!

this is great!!! i have been looking for a way to STOP the passive alarming. this should be FAQ stuff

this is great!!! i have been looking for a way to STOP the passive alarming. this should be FAQ stuff

Thanks for the write up! Have a similar prob in my 97LX also. Not nearly as bad as yours though, only once or twice a month it won't arm (at least doesn't chirp when locking with fob). Sometimes I get partial chirps, or it chirps but doesn't lock.

I have made it a habit to check the rear hatch, it seems most likely to not lock with the rest.

You mentioned moving the antenna... where would i find that in order to move it? I assume it is not shared with the radio antenna?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the compliments. My truck has never had a problem locking or unlocking IF it decides to work at all. :mad:

The write-up about moving the antenna is here:

http://https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/233963-grey-wire-mod-extend-alarm-remote-range.html

Hope this helps...

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom