FJZ80 – Rear Window Side Louvers/Vents Replacment Question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrq

Threads
Hello! So both of the side louvers/vents on my '94 LC are warped/broken. I just ordered some new (well, used) ones from Cruiserparts. My question is: Do these louvers just pop right off? I know they have clips that hold them into place. (Those are what's broken) If they just pop right off, I'll go ahead and replace them myself. But if they're more complicated than that, I think I'll have my Land Cruiser guy replace them. I've attached some pictures of mine below. Thanks!

13823719_930365907063098_624712274_n.jpg

13819538_930365910396431_278755112_n.jpg

13819882_930365917063097_1211840403_n.jpg

13817074_930365933729762_1245480930_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 8.30.05 PM.png

look at the back side of the new ones. i'm guessing there is a stud and you'll need to remove the inside quarter trim to get to the nut inside the vehicle.

Did this myself as well. Just pull that rear trim and a socket and get that nut off. Then install. Really easy.

I did this too not long ago...be very careful the two top clips are aligned before you pop in place. I ordered new so no brittle plastic and broke one. Also while in there clean up and make sure the vents are working--the rubber can dry out and then you get dust, water and noise in (this is why I tore into mine)

Last edited:
did you need to buy additional mounting hardware besides the assembly in the picture?

Only hardware is the nut on each lower stud. Should be able to reuse them. On driver's side, just open the jack access panel and reach way up to get to nut. Passenger side requires removing interior panel.

just busted mine (fixing window leak) and put sealant to fix them back on. will replace with new in future.
Very brittle. Two clips up top that require push/pull but one on bottom is the 'oops - it broke'

Does the louvered vent tuck in behind the sliding quarter window weather strip? If so has anyone found a good/easy way to accomplish? I busted both of mine removing for paint and am trying to engineer a fix and replace with new later down the road.

Does the louvered vent tuck in behind the sliding quarter window weather strip? If so has anyone found a good/easy way to accomplish? I busted both of mine removing for paint and am trying to engineer a fix and replace with new later down the road.

Mine were 1/2 tucked when I removed them. I broke the clip retainers when I pulled them off despite my care. Was able to glob the clips on with gorilla glue and pop them back on. Holding so far.

The vents do tuck behind the quarter window weather strip and getting them in with the quarter window in place can be done but I wouldn't recommend it as the "right way" to do it. I did it with a lot of care but it does risk breaking the new plastic vent (likely where the bolt is held to the vent). I had new weather stripping on the quarter that was pretty compliant that made things easier I would think.

The vents do tuck behind the quarter window weather strip and getting them in with the quarter window in place can be done but I wouldn't recommend it as the "right way" to do it. I did it with a lot of care but it does risk breaking the new plastic vent (likely where the bolt is held to the vent). I had new weather stripping on the quarter that was pretty compliant that made things easier I would think.
FYI: Wedging the louver under the window strip with a plastic panel tool and some WD40 as lube makes it easier.

Anyone have a part number for the rubber flaps behind the plastic louver? my third row seatbelts are getting soaked in the spool. I just had the factory rack removed and sealed up, so I'm hoping the water isn't still coming from the roof.

Anyone have a part number for the rubber flaps behind the plastic louver? my third row seatbelts are getting soaked in the spool. I just had the factory rack removed and sealed up, so I'm hoping the water isn't still coming from the roof.
Bump for this same question, My rubber is ripped, sticking out and flopping around.

1611698652614.png

Not seeing any rubber in this pic. Maybe the piece I'm seeing is the sliding window trim? I'll get a pic of it...

Just did this, leaks on mine were coming from the degraded grommets on the plastic clips and the grommet on the stud.

will be doing a more thorough write up soon.

now on the struggle bus to get this to reseat under quarter panel window gasket.

clips at Napa
87FD42C0-D02A-475A-8E68-D5CE6F698205.jpeg
002F4133-55B3-460E-8A62-BD3E9E877C78.jpeg
1B89980E-23BA-42FD-BE32-9AB9FF30FC05.jpeg

Last edited:
I need to do this and the rear window seals. Looks like salt is built up in the seals. Guessing my clips are broken by the sheet metal screw that was put through the plastic trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom