Fjz80- cracked timing cover at bypass pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I had a separate thread about diagnosing my coolant leak and finally solved it. There is a hairline crack where the bypass tube inserts into the timing cover.

As i understand it, replacing the timing cover requires pulling the head off. Im still new to the 80 platform, so I am not certain why that is. My odo shows 166k miles, so I’d rather not do the head gasket unless i have to.

Any opinions on using marine tex (or similar)? Slightly widen the crack, fill it, sand it. I have not had to do a repair like this before, previous vehicles didnt require me to remove the head to access the timing cover(s).

Many thanks

D6EEE66B-B9DE-418F-951E-9DBD2C6A1692.jpeg

Timing cover can be removed without pulling the head.
Both oil pans need to be removed 😉

Hello all,

I had a separate thread about diagnosing my coolant leak and finally solved it. There is a hairline crack where the bypass tube inserts into the timing cover.

As i understand it, replacing the timing cover requires pulling the head off. Im still new to the 80 platform, so I am not certain why that is. My odo shows 166k miles, so I’d rather not do the head gasket unless i have to.

Any opinions on using marine tex (or similar)? Slightly widen the crack, fill it, sand it. I have not had to do a repair like this before, previous vehicles didnt require me to remove the head to access the timing cover(s).

Many thanks

View attachment 3078652
how did you get this pipe off? I unscrewed the two bolts off the engine block but it won't budge.

how did you get this pipe off? I unscrewed the two bolts off the engine block but it won't budge.
You use a set of pliers with rubber on the teeth and wiggle it. Its not easy if its been on there a while. I would just plan to order a new insert bypass tube and use teethed pliers. Even with the rubber on mine i had to replace it

You use a set of pliers with rubber on the teeth and wiggle it. Its not easy if its been on there a while. I would just plan to order a new insert bypass tube and use teethed pliers. Even with the rubber on mine i had to replace it
damn. I'm gonna bug the parts dealer a bit more then 😅. they don't even bother authenticating me anymore.

damn. I'm gonna bug the parts dealer a bit more then 😅. they don't even bother authenticating me anymore.
Twist it back and forth a little at a time.

As it loosens you can be a bit more aggressive.

There is a short aluminum pipe in the with 2 o-rings on it that you will most likely mangle trying to get out.

Use Scotch Brite and Emery cloth to clean up the sealing surfaces.

There is a third o-ring on the top part, all three are identical.

Check torque on the bolts in the FSM. I think it's 15 lb-ft.

Use anti-freeze on the o-rings as lubricant when reassembling. Just a finger smear on it is good enough. Do the same when you install the o-rings on the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom