FJZ-80 too hard to own going forward? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5th gen 150 are nice and all but still 8.5 inch rear and IFS front, also everything is hanging below the frame rails so you can spend 30k and it won’t be an 80 with a proper 2.5 inch lift. Granted most people including me don’t really use the extra capability but there really isn’t anything like an 80. Also the few times I want to go to places that have bigger “gate keeper” the 80 is very reassuring.

Would I do it again? Maybe.......but definitely not for as a DD.
What's hanging below the frame rails? From what I remember from the several 5th gens I worked on this past week Toyota has tucked most stuff between the frame rails, not below. I think the tcase hangs down a tad just as it does on the 80. The fuel tank is in the same place as it is on the 80. Toyota has beefed up the 8" rear differential over the years. Cruiser outfitters took a 5TH gen overlanding and drove it from Montana to Patagonia. (the trip is on YouTube)They did not have any trouble with the front or rear axle mechanically. Which sounds like more hard core overlanding than the op intends.

5TH gen 4runners are close to the size of 80s. They are also very reliable.
My daily is a 5th gen. Park it next to the fzj everyday. The 4runner looks tiny compared to the LC. The 4rnr interior is actually a little bigger than the LC, interestingly enough.

Absolutely agree about reliability and the 4rnr will do almost everything offroad that her older cousin can do. Except bring that same ear to ear grin the the LC can.
Plus I never go look outside the window just to see the 4runner. ;)

What's hanging below the frame rails? From what I remember from the several 5th gens I worked on this past week Toyota has tucked most stuff between the frame rails, not below. I think the tcase hangs down a tad just as it does on the 80. The fuel tank is in the same place as it is on the 80. Toyota has beefed up the 8" rear differential over the years. Cruiser outfitters took a 5TH gen overlanding and drove it from Montana to Patagonia. (the trip is on YouTube)They did not have any trouble with the front or rear axle mechanically. Which sounds like more hard core overlanding than the op intends.
Yes, that is more overlanding than I will do -- not driving to Patagonia.

And if you want a older 4runner get a lexus gx470. Newer 4 runner get the gx460. They are 4runners with lexus on them and usually less than a 4 runner....... that all the lulu lemon moms want to mall crawl.

It took me 2 years to find my 80 of choice. Wasn't in a rush since I already had the 100. Picked up a '97, Factory locked (X3), low miles.The wait was worth it... Like any other old vehicle, parts needed to be replaced. I've been able to find every part I've wanted and the rig is ready to go another couple of years. It's well documented in this forum, the key issues this vehicle might have and how to resolve those issues. Aftermarket support is 100%.
I have driven a 200. Lots of modern electronics for those who fancy it, powerful and smooth but abit too pricy for me at this moment. But if money wasn't an issue I'd get one. Perhaps sell the built 100, get the 200 but keep the 80.But money is always an issue.

The 80 is a special vehicle. You either love it or you don't. Doubt I'd be getting rid of mine unless some emergency comes up, at which point I would prefer to sell it to someone who would really appreciate it and take care of it as well as I have. At the end of the day.. They are just vehicles.

Let us know what you decide.

One of my fav things about the 80 series is the old school ergonomics.

I love how shallow the dash is, to windshield, to you squaring up to the pre-airbag A pillar that looks a twig next to any modern LC, 4R, Tacoma, etc. With that said, I abhor the Camry dash they stuffed into the earlier 80s.

IMG-1967 (1).JPG

The 80 happens to also be the oldest Land Cruiser one (I) could daily drive having piled on about 10K LA urban jungle miles my first year minus two long arse road trips.

ATL to LA in three days (2,200 miles)

LA to Seattle to LA (2,300+ miles)

Set cruise, AC on, running on 4.88s + 35s = easy cheesy.

IMG-1369.JPG

IMG-1368.JPG

IMG-1372.JPG

IMG-1375.JPG

Last edited:
One of my fav things about the 80 series is the old school ergonomics.

I love how shallow the dash is, to windshield, to you squaring up to the pre-airbag A pillar that looks a twig next to any modern LC, 4R, Tacoma, etc. With that said, I abhor the Camry dash they stuffed into the earlier 80s.

View attachment 1968968

The 80 happens to also be the oldest Land Cruiser one (I) could daily drive having piled on about 10K LA urban jungle miles my first year minus two long arse road trips.

ATL to LA in three days (2,200 miles)

LA to Seattle to LA (2,300+ miles)

Set cruise, AC on, running on 4.88s + 35s = easy cheesy.

View attachment 1968974

View attachment 1968973

View attachment 1968975

View attachment 1968976
I happen to like the "moon bus" style dash on the early 80's but I guess it's not for everyone. :p

Not an equal comparison but I sold my 2009 tundra with 5.7 to go back to an 80 series. I have never sat in a 200 series but the tundra felt like a throw away vehicle to me - thinner sheet metal and a lot more plastic. It road nice but was huge inside and out. I didn't like the interior much either.

My suggestion would be to buy the nicest maintained 80 series you can afford/find. I bought an 80 that had 12k miles on a rebuilt engine, trans, tcase, and both axles. I expect it to easily last me 10-15 years.

The only other vehicle I have had and liked equally as much, for daily driving, was my 2001 4dr tacoma.

It’s all relative.... I daily drove a 60 before moving to the 80. Parts aren’t exactly easy to find in the 60 market.

If you baseline everything with oem parts (as much as possible) an 80 will be far more reliable than anything you can drive off a new car lot in my opinion.

Can anyone imagine buying a new ford, Chevy, Kia, Mazda, bmw, Mercedes, etc... and still reliably daily driving it 30 years from now?

Can anyone imagine buying a new ford, Chevy, Kia, Mazda, bmw, Mercedes, etc... and still reliably daily driving it 30 years from now?

No.

I actually think most 80s probably need a pretty extensive overhaul if they haven't been very carefully maintained at this point, but as long as there are still parts available, I think these are 50-60 year vehicles. Mine is 25 years old already and it's in extremely good condition and it runs and drives pretty close to how it must have been off the lot back in '94. 25 more years seems like nothing compared to how it has stood the test of time thus far.

I've said before that I think the thing that will actually kill these trucks will be the ability to fuel them. If all of these countries that have a lot of tall talk about eliminating internal combustion cars and trucks by 2025, etc. actually follow through, I could see gasoline or diesel being something you buy as a novelty to fire up grandpa's old sled on the 4th of July for a couple of hotlaps around the neighborhood.

Hopefully by that time we could just put a nuke plant in them or whatever they are powering things with when that day comes is.

Maybe it’s my eyes but everything seems lower, gas tank, TC, I can hardly see the frames when I am under the 150 as suppose to the 80 I can see the frame front to back. 150 can do a lot if modified properly but try putting some 35 inch shoes on or batter yet, try 37s. Yes, I have both in the driveway and they aren’t even close.

For most of overlanding/dirt roads it’s fine, but I wouldnt take 150 to real off-road trails without some serious mods as suppose to I wouldn’t sweat it on an 80s with 35s/37s and 2.5 inch lift. different use cases? Of course, same results? No

For DD, stick with the 150.

Apparently not. Joe Rogan just had one built for him! Got a few bucks into it, but it's like a new truck!
You got the cheddar and the time, just roll it on over to ICON/TLC. One day...

No.

I actually think most 80s probably need a pretty extensive overhaul if they haven't been very carefully maintained at this point, but as long as there are still parts available, I think these are 50-60 year vehicles. Mine is 25 years old already and it's in extremely good condition and it runs and drives pretty close to how it must have been off the lot back in '94. 25 more years seems like nothing compared to how it has stood the test of time thus far.

I've said before that I think the thing that will actually kill these trucks will be the ability to fuel them. If all of these countries that have a lot of tall talk about eliminating internal combustion cars and trucks by 2025, etc. actually follow through, I could see gasoline or diesel being something you buy as a novelty to fire up grandpa's old sled on the 4th of July for a couple of hotlaps around the neighborhood.

Hopefully by that time we could just put a nuke plant in them or whatever they are powering things with when that day comes is.
Mr. Fusion. IIRC those target dates are to eliminate NEW vehicles.

While I adore my 80, I wouldn't go through another refresh effort (still on-going a year later) if I had to start all over again. The biggest deterrent would be finding another locked '97 in amazing condition in and out. It's just too much time and effort to source.

Save yourself some time, drop LOCKED from your requirements and add Harrop/Eatons after the fact. Nothing better.

If your sticking with petrol what about a 105 series?

Otherwise I’d go a HDJ80R.

While I adore my 80, I wouldn't go through another refresh effort (still on-going a year later) if I had to start all over again. The biggest deterrent would be finding another locked '97 in amazing condition in and out. It's just too much time and effort to source.

If I didn't have my 80, I'd get a new 200 or Tacoma TRD Pro. Neither would be a lifetime vehicle like the 80 series.

Good luck with your decision.

file-4.jpg

P.S. I like mine way better than Mr. Rogan's :D
[/wQUOTE]
WAWWW BEAUTIFUL TRUCK!

“Daily” drove the 40 today (happens about once a week), normally it’s the 5th Gen. That said my Dads locked 97 FZJ 80 showed up in my driveway 6 weeks ago (he no longer drives) and I’m just getting started on it. Fat Jimmy wasn’t much with car maintenance but it’s a 206k mile one-owner truck that has prolly had most of its work done by the dealer (not saying that’s good or bad). Deal is I’ve always loved 80’s and this was a free one that needed love and a new lease on life. To complicate matters I’m also blessed with a hundy that’s basically my fishing rig when I’m up north. To summarize my thoughts on my fleet:

FJ40 - a constant smile... every time
5th Gen - comfortable and dependable
Hundy - lights me up when I drive her, love the visibility and drive-ability (enjoy it more than the 5th)
Now the 80 - can’t wait to get it set up and enjoy

To the OP, take your time and keep your mind open. Mr. T has made a lot of great rides so look for the right deal for you irrespective of model. You will know the right truck when you find it, cheers.

Last edited:
This is my 6th LC. My first was a 1978 HJ45. I had it maybe a week and my buddy's G.Father, served in WWII and Korea, came over and said "you know what I hear when I open the hood...….BOOM!" I knew what he meant....how could I support that. A year later he drove it on the ranch and had a blast. Then he came by and " helped me" paint it. Finally got him to come around....

All that to say I love my 80 and DD it. I enjoyed my 16' Tacoma but it wasn't an 80. Sold it and back into an 80 I went

Last edited:

If I didn't have my 80, I'd get a new 200 or Tacoma TRD Pro. Neither would be a lifetime vehicle like the 80 series.

Good luck with your decision.

file-4.jpg

P.S. I like mine way better than Mr. Rogan's :D
me too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom