Fj88 tranny question! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I purchased my 88fj62, the po told me that the tranny was bad. I towed the car home and at first it drove fine, no problem. After a couple of days, it wouldn't go on reverse, I could hear the motor reving but it wouldn't move. When I decided to get an estimate at amco, the car wouldn't shift gear, it would stay stuck so I drove at 25mph. Now after going back and forth to amco, the tranny still moves forward at the same (not shifting gear) speed but it doesn't go backwards.
Randy (another member) is working with me on the tranny situation but the question is, is the transfercase also damage? do I need another transfercase?

Fluid quality and level
Adjustment of the throttle linkage to the transmission
Filter/pick-up screen cleaning
Flush (search "rodney flush" or see the thread slcfj62 linked)
the "Rodney Party Trick" (search)

These are the basic things you can address without tearing into the tranny. If working through these doesn't fix things, it is likely time to get out your credit card. x lots on not using an average tranny shop. See if you can get a decent used unit ($ or talk one out of Randy :hillbilly:), get a Wholesale rebuild ($$$) or swap in a standard ($$-$$$).

....the question is, is the transfercase also damage? do I need another transfercase?

In looking at your post again, I realized that we didn't answer your question about the transfer case. Reason being that you should try the inexpensive fixes with your transmission before you "go for broke" on the expensive ones. Do the fluid flush and filter change etc first. Then if your tranny is toast, you can decide whether or not to tear into the transfer case. If your Cruiser has around 200K miles or more, and you plan on keeping it for a long time, you might as well rebuild the transfer case while you have it off for the tranny rebuild. But don't get suckered into anything yet! Aamco makes a living this way.

X2 on trying the easy fixes first

another way togo would be to put a late 85+ 4 speed in, it would be a somewhat bolt in procedure, and quite abit cheaper than a 5 speed, if cost and getting the rig running again is a factor. you should be able to pick up a good 4 speed tranfer case combo for $300-400 dollars. probably be less than $1000 total, and a good weekends worth of work.

as for the auto any used one will probably have a worn output shaft. altho you could pickup a used auto for $100-400 and drop it in and maybe get a few more years out of it.

Last edited:
X2 on trying the easy fixes first

another way togo would be to put a late 85+ 4 speed in, it would be a somewhat bolt in procedure, and quite abit cheaper than a 5 speed, if cost and getting the rig running again is a factor. you should be able to pick up a good 4 speed tranfer case combo for $300-400 dollars. probably be less than $1000 total, and a good weekends worth of work.

I have thought about doing that if my auto were to crater. Do you know someone that has swapped a 4 speed into an fj62? How does that work with the 4.11 gears in the '62? I think I have read that the fj60 has 3.73 gears.

The 4 speed would be a (fairly) easy swap and would be OK with the stock gears. Your top speed would be decreased, but you'd be mobile and driving. A 5 speed would make it nearly ideal. The most difficult part would be the pedal bucket swap, and the clutch hydraulics.

As I see it, there is no advantage to a later H42 swap. No matter what, you need to change drive shaft lengths.

The 4 speed would be a (fairly) easy swap and would be OK with the stock gears. Your top speed would be decreased, but you'd be mobile and driving. A 5 speed would make it nearly ideal. The most difficult part would be the pedal bucket swap, and the clutch hydraulics.

That confirms what I thought. It could be a 2 stage project. Stage 1 convert to manual with the 4 speed. Save up some more nickels, and then Stage 2 swap in the 5 speed.

If you have the room, and you can find one, you could pick up a whole rusted out FJ62 that runs fine for less than $2K. I see then all the time here on the East Coast. Just a thought... Nice to have a spare parts bank in the yard.

I've just converted a couple to 5spds and the autos are up for grabs.........

Both running w/no problems............... no warranty tho.......

If interested pm me and I'll hook you with the owner for the $ amount and history on the unit.........

OK....just trans, no transfer cases, I used them in the conversion........

Changing out the A44F is a tough job. I swapped in a running used one and it died soon thereafter. Rodney was not on the radar so I swapped in a H55F five speed.

If you have limited funds get one of the used units from Grant and put it in. I would not consider putting a 4 speed manual then switching to a 5 speed later. Too much work.

The pedal assembly was not hard. One bolt on the upper right took some patience. The clutch lines were a piece of cake. I used an early FJ60 cross member and welded 1" plate steel to the frame rails to bolt to.

3 options from least expensive to most expensive and desirable in my opinion.
1 used A440F
2 Extreme A440F from Rodney in Oz
3 H55F five speed.

My writeup on the swap can be found by searching 'Dunbar' and 'H55F'. I got my used parts from Wimberly 4x4 in New Braunfelds as they are close but Cruiser Parts can set you up too.

Dunbar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom