FJ80 won't start, no CEL, checked everything - Bad ECU? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm at my witts end with this problem. A few weeks ago I bought a mess of a 1992 FJ80 for $1000, not running seller said it needed fuel pump. When I turn the key on all I get is the "Brake" light, gear position indicator, and door open light. Battery voltmeter gauge works - no movement in anything else. Truck runs when I spray starter fluid in the intake. I wasn't getting any fuel pressure at first, replaced fuel pump, now I get pressure but the injectors aren't firing.

Here's a quick rundown of what I did:

Replaced fusible links (They had been bypassed and straightwired)
Removed a poorly installed aftermarket alarm system and repaired all wiring
Replaced all fuses (most slots had been replaced with oversized fuses)
Replaced EFI Relay

I got all the relevant pages of the FSM and checked what I could, but gave up and towed it to a shop I knew.

He printed off all the diagrams. Checked all the wires. Told me I have power and ground going where I need to. Said there was power being sent to the fuel pump but the truck had no fuel pressure. We replaced the fuel pump, now theres pressure but the injectors aren't being told to fire. He said he tried to shoot power to the CEL directly but it still didn't light up and he believes the bulb is bad (perfectly believable to me -- the rest of the truck has been neglected I'm sure that has been too). And told me it's either the ECU or the distributor, and he doesn't think its the distributor because the truck runs fine when ran on starter fluid, he believes the ECU is bad. Doesn't know what else it could be he told me he's checked just about everything.

The few threads I've read here about ECU's tell me that it's extremely uncommon. I've even found a few threads mentioning similar conditions to what I have (Only Brake light, Door light, and Gear Indicator light up and only battery gauge works - no start) but each one of those threads seems to have no resolution. Theres a repair service for this computer for $95. Thats not bad. I just want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Last edited:
YES all threads mentioning similar conditions to what you have (Only Brake light, Door light, and Gear Indicator light up and only battery gauge works - no start) but each one of those threads seems to have no resolution,

this is disturbing since the thread owner says he will report but never come back

Before you get deep into it try unbolting the fuse block under the hood and checking the back. Sometimes the contacts get corroded and start shorting everything out. Any chance it was submerged during the flooding in the past down there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom