FJ80: what to expect (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I am new to the LC world. I have a 4Runner off road which gave me a love for Toyota, but now all I want is a land cruiser to work on as a bonus car.

I want an FJ80. I have only test driven one, and it wasn’t promising. Bad braking, accelerator could hardly be pushed down, interior was horrible. It was listed for $9000.

Can y’all tell me what I should be expecting an FJ80 to run like? I know it isn’t going to be “smooth,” but I also don’t want to buy an FJ80 without knowing how it should feel.

Hi everyone,

I am new to the LC world. I have a 4Runner off road which gave me a love for Toyota, but now all I want is a land cruiser to work on as a bonus car.

I want an FJ80. I have only test driven one, and it wasn’t promising. Bad braking, accelerator could hardly be pushed down, interior was horrible. It was listed for $9000.

Can y’all tell me what I should be expecting an FJ80 to run like? I know it isn’t going to be “smooth,” but I also don’t want to buy an FJ80 without knowing how it should feel.
First, there are FJ80's and FZJ80's.
1991-1992 are FJ80. 3FE Engine. Slow, Gutless, reliable as hell.
1993-1997 are FZJ80. 1FZ-FE Engine. Slightly more HP, slow, gutless, have a once per life head gasket issues.

All will take you anywhere you want to go, slowly.
These are not cheap old trucks.

That's too much for whatever version you're looking at unless it's under 100K miles.

Read a lot on here.
Don't take it personally.
Put on your big girl panties.
Throw your wallet at it.
Read a lot on here.
Don't ask stupid questions other than "What oil are you using?" and "What tires will fit on my truck?"

Also remember that you're probably going to be searching within a 250 mile radius to find something that's a good value.

Prices vary wildly depending on the location.

An 80 series at its core is a solid front and rear axle vehicle with coil springs, a bus transmission (in some years) and a tractor or forklift engine powering it. It’s going to drive pretty p*ss poor by any modern standards. What you felt might very well be an accurate representation of an 80, unless there was a mechanical issue causing those issues.

With that said, 80 series ownership is very rewarding but not for the faint of heart like @BILT4ME mentioned.

Both previous commenters are correct.

The asking price for these rigs is all over the place. I purchased my FZJ for $4500 with 190K miles, stock, no rust, and complete service records. I asked a guy I met, who had a 60, his opinion on the price, and he said that he had recently sold an FZJ with 220k miles for $12k. So, it varies.

I would consult the FAQ on this site and the newbie guide on Slee Offroad: 80 Series Newbie Guide - Slee Off Road - https://sleeoffroad.com/tech-zone/80-series-newbie-guide/ That should give you a good introduction to these trucks and what to expect.

These rigs are EXTREMELY heavy duty, and will drive like it. It might be best if there's someone close to you who wheels and 80 and wouldn't mind having you come to take a look.

Hope you find a good one. I've certainly enjoyed mine.

RUn away now. Turn around before the sickness overcomes you.

80’s are awesome. I can not come to part with mine. They are cumbersome oddities that have a cult like following bordering on an addiction.

Depending on what you do to it with add on’s or suspension changes-it can ride like a dream, floating on clouds or it can be a bucking bronco trying to kill you after hitting every bump in the road. I prefer a combination of the two.

Get one with lockers already installed (OEM or otherwise) to make the rest of the pain and effort worth it.

They are mean, they take all your money, they are needy, thirsty all the time. Wont work when you want, leak everywhere, occupy all your spare time, only happy with expensive accessories, love bling bling, only design products. yada yada yada

So they are like most alcoholic women? I love my 80.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom