fj80 v8 converstion checklist (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i have thought about doing the v8 swap, i think if i were to do it, i would use the v8 trans as well. should be able to sell your engine and transmission for 500-1000 to help with money.shift kits and 3rd lockup are way cheaper for v8 transmissions.

i have thought about doing the v8 swap, i think if i were to do it, i would use the v8 trans as well. should be able to sell your engine and transmission for 500-1000 to help with money.shift kits and 3rd lockup are way cheaper for v8 transmissions.

Too true...... i've got an internal debate going on in my mind about engine swaps and while i'm leaning towards diesel i'm not 100% yet.

would i have to run custom headers or could i buy a set off of ebay for a 350 ??? im curious about the fitment because of the steering column

with the v8 swap do you have to run the maf adapter for the tranny ? and i learned that maf sells a wire kit for the conversion. should i be concerned bc the 3fe is a relatively simple computer design compared to newer models.

thanks for the help dudes it really helps for the knowledge. i figured i need at least $1500-$2000 for the conversion.

I'd figure you'd need at least $5k when it's all said and done...

You can get it done if you and your dad can do the labor, just be creative. For instance, I did a 5-speed AND 4x4 conversion to my 2002 Tacoma. Yes it was a pre-Runner when I purchased it but also you can't get a manual double cab because Toyota never offered it in the U.S. Others have done the 5-speed conversion alone and spend between $1500 and $5000. I simply purchased a wrecked 1997 Tacoma that had all the parts I needed, then parted out the rest of the truck. Guess what, I made over $1000 on my conversion. Of course you need misc adapters so your conversion will have to cost something, but just be creative, you can get it done in your price range.

The cheapest V8 swap you can do is a carb'd 350 with an adapter to your current tranny, if one is made. That will eat quickly through your budget. You also need to use the 3F sensors, like oil pressure, or your in for gauges. So,
Motor (complete with air cleaner)
Motor mounts
Exhaust (headers and piping to current muffler)
Custom power steering hose
Custom cooling fan shroud
Custom AC lines

There will always be something else to figure in this so plan for it. You can search for LS1 and LS2 to see what folks are doing too to get an idea.

HTH.

Hey welcome aboard, I say go for a 350 TBI or vortec as well.
I did a TBI a couple years ago and it was a big difference, but I would throw a vortec in if there was one available to gain some power and mileage.

Although your deffinately optimistic on the costs. Add up a good motor, Advance Adapter, custom exhaust, ram-horn manifolds off ebay, the budget is already blown.

if i find a 5.3 vortec at $700, would that be a fair way to start ? (with all the electrical and other etc).

if i find a 5.3 vortec at $700, would that be a fair way to start ? (with all the electrical and other etc).

That's a perfect price and IMHO the best choice for a non-diesel conversion.

Advance Adapters sells the kit to mate 86 and later small block chevy engines to 80 series for $1175.00. There goes 60% of your budget...:D

Last edited:
those engines look great ! i know maf builds wiring kits but i know my way around electrical circuits. with a 350 tbi or a 5.3 vortec in mind how hard is the wiring and having it match my cluster. i know i can run custom gauges which are pretty easy to install but my concern is the odometer and speedometer.

those engines look great ! i know maf builds wiring kits but i know my way around electrical circuits. with a 350 tbi or a 5.3 vortec in mind how hard is the wiring and having it match my cluster. i know i can run custom gauges which are pretty easy to install but my concern is the odometer and speedometer.

On my vortec conversion, the PCM provides the wire to go to an electric speedo.

91-92 uses a cable driven speedometer off of the Transfer case, so the speed reading will not change, You will have to have an adapter to convert the Tachometer signal from the V8 engine so it reads accurately on the Toyota gauge. I used aftermarket for the Temp and oil pressure gauges. Like mentioned above, the adapter alone will cost over a Grand, whether using the Marks adapter to convert the 350 engine to the Stock Transmission, or if you decided to use the matching 350 and the Chevrolet automatic transmission (usually a 4L60E), then the adapter from the Chevy auto to Toyota Transfer case is approx 1250. If I had the option I would go matching Chevy engine and Transmission. With the new-found V8 power the heat generated to the A440F auto transmission can commonly lead to premature failure without other expensive Transmission upgrades.

over heating the transmission is a concern but theres some guys that have been running a 350 with the 440F and dont have any issues, but ill probably get a transmission cooling kit built for that. as far as the fan shroud should i be concerned because i've seen rigs that dont run custom fan kits.

i just found an old 305 chevy small block with a 350 turbo tranny for $275.00. it was running when he pulled it out of the engine etc. came out of a 77 3/4 chevy. sounds like a deal i wanna jump on it but i wanna get some feed back from you all about the 305 and 283(another one i found)

If you want to do it right.... get a '5.3 engine out of a '99+ GM truck. Install a used '02-04 Z06 cam/springs, and headers if you can afford them. If not just put in a stock 5.3 and do the upgrades later. Porting the stock throttlebody is worth about 10hp and there are plenty of people that do it for $40-60. They also cut the shaft that holds the TB blade to increase airflow.

The LS style engine is light years ahead of the TBI. The cylinder heads flow a lot with large factory ports. Tons of aftermarket and the basic design is still used in 2011 models. Stock crankshafts and truck blocks can handle 1000rwhp+!

www.car-part.com is a good place to find a complete engine as well as good 'ol Craigslist. Don't pay more than $1K for a complete 5.3 with low miles. With higher miles 100K+ they can be had for under $600. Chevy Silverado 1500 model After you fill out the search page.... go to the bottom of the results. There will be numbers for pages. Click on the one in that is highlighted and work back from there. That will be the cheapest price and get more expensive.
In AZ for $400-500 you can get a quality pull out. Remember.... to haggle and make sure they are complete with all accessories, wiring harness, PCM, intake, oil pan etc.

If you want to make this happen.... you should work your ass off and save some $$$ as engine conversions.... are never cheap when done right :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom