FJ80 "TRD Off Road" Rear Quarter Panel Decals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been thinking about adding a set of TRD Off Road decals to my rear quarter panels. I think it's odd that the FJ80 series is probably one of the most capable off road Toyotas, but it was never offered with an official TRD Off Road package.

Regardless, here are a few Mud members who have executed the concept well!

Resized_Image_1384110732716.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

8010506421_c31560f922_h.jpg

8100341112_03f8f83136_h.jpg

8100328299_d8914cabb3_b.jpg

IMG_20111123_133718.jpg

Opinions, tips, hints, and suggestions welcome!

Who sells high quality vinyl stickers that are the appropriate size?

Also, if you’ve got photos with TRD Off Road badges, post ‘em up!

Last edited:
I like the decals, but some like to go the other direction and de-badge altogether. My good friend just picked up one of these and he pulled the badges off. Pretty sure nobody is not going to notice the $365,000 car you are driving, Jon... But to each their own. He cuts the tags off of all his clothes and re-paints his $15,000 bicycles too, so maybe it's just a thing for those that have "f-you money". Kinda wish I would have listened to him when he told me to buy Google and Apple stock 20 years ago, among other things... LOL...;)

GTC4Lusso - Ferrari.com

Think about what will look good against the gold though. I painted my wheels with the graphite color that Rustoleum offers and I am still not sold on it. I think I want to redo those and the stupid 24K gold trim that all of the trim pieces have on my truck with something in the dark brown/root beer metallic paint range. I dunno, what do you think?

20170219_091751.jpg

I like the decals, but some like to go the other direction and de-badge altogether. My good friend just picked up one of these and he pulled the badges off. Pretty sure nobody is not going to notice the $365,000 car you are driving, Jon... But to each their own. He cuts the tags off of all his clothes and re-paints his $15,000 bicycles too, so maybe it's just a thing for those that have "f-you money". Kinda wish I would have listened to him when he told me to buy Google and Apple stock 20 years ago, among other things... LOL...;)

GTC4Lusso - Ferrari.com

Think about what will look good against the gold though. I painted my wheels with the graphite color that Rustoleum offers and I am still not sold on it. I think I want to redo those and the stupid 24K gold trim that all of the trim pieces have on my truck with something in the dark brown/root beer metallic paint range. I dunno, what do you think?

View attachment 1635118

Yeah, I can appreciate the de-badged look. But I also love Toyota branding, especially the TRD Off Road editions. I actually think black accents will look good against the Beige Metallic paint. Not too much, but a few here and there. Here is an example of what I mean. The black wheels, black roof rack, black bumpers/pillars, and black tint really make the beige metallic pop.

00_L0_L_1e_LWBl_Ftdw_W_600x450.jpg

On most of this stuff, I can always go back to stock (remove decals, reinstall OEM wheels, etc).

Thanks for all the help. I think we're the only ones awake right now.

On your truck, I would paint the center caps to match the wheels. Which 24k gold trim are you referring to?

Yeah, I can appreciate the de-badged look. But I also love Toyota branding, especially the TRD Off Road editions. I actually think black accents will look good against the Beige Metallic paint. Not too much, but a few here and there. Here is an example of what I mean. The black wheels, black roof rack, black bumpers/pillars, and black tint really make the beige metallic pop.

00_L0_L_1e_LWBl_Ftdw_W_600x450.jpg

On most of this stuff, I can always go back to stock (remove decals, reinstall OEM wheels, etc).

Thanks for all the help. I think we're the only ones awake right now.

On your truck, I would paint the center caps to match the wheels. Which 24k gold trim are you referring to?
Black goes with everything. That's an easy choice. I am a bit of an art fart though and I have a good eye for things like color coordination. I would go with a color along these lines if I decide to redo everything as far as the wheels, rear sombrero, and T O Y O T A grill. The 24K Gold Package was a thing that they offered on at least the '94 like I have. It was real gold that was embossed on all the trim. I still have the original card that explains it. The caps are aftermarket units that I picked up on eBay and I agree, they don't match, but I lost one and these serve a practical purpose of keeping my hubs clean. I won't go without them in my climate, but I would probably find a complimentary color to go with the brown if I decide to make a change.

dupont paint root beer - Google Search:

So, the story I have for my truck is that I bought it from a guy that was good friends with Verlen Kruger,(Verlen Kruger - Wikipedia) whom was good friends with Dorothy Molter(Dorothy Molter - Wikipedia) whom was the last lady to live in what is now known as the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness on the border between Minnesota and Ontario. She was known as the "Root Beer Lady" because she would serve home brewed root beer to anyone that would stop by her island home on Knife Lake, deep inside the wilderness area. Thousands of Boy Scouts and other intrepid travelers took advantage of her hospitality over the years and my truck is named Dorothy in her honor, thus the desire to have the root beer colored trim to go along with the dark brown interior that my truck shares with yours(underneath the leather seats).

That's my line of thinking anyway...

Last edited:
TRD is upgrade for stock models that aren’t that good, no TRD sticker means no upgrade(needed). Every LC/LX is fully capable and don’t need no stinking upgrades from TRD! Ok, that’s my theory at least.

Did Toyota have a racing division in 1993? That would be my question in order to be "period correct".

The 80 was the flagship vehicle alongside the Supra for a car company that was finally coming into it's own at a time when the Japanese economy was going bonkers. I remember reading that the real estate value of Tokyo alone was worth more than all of the real estate in the entire US during that time.

Did Toyota have a racing division in 1993? That would be my question in order to be "period correct".

The 80 was the flagship vehicle alongside the Supra for a car company that was finally coming into it's own at a time when the Japanese economy was going bonkers. I remember reading that the real estate value of Tokyo alone was worth more than all of the real estate in the entire US during that time.

History of Toyota Racing Development - Toyota

Im not a decal fan but the position youve ahown seems appropriate and best...... there are some on here in less fitting locals like over the wheel arch.

Back sliding window may not look bad.

View attachment 1635149

some one does not agree ...................

That ligtbar is about as silly as the TRD banners from the factory. Lets put a faux protective device up front and in front of said protection put a fragile accesory lol.

TRD has to be the biggest upsale gimmick in their bag of sales tricks. $3200 bucks extra for a decal and bilsteins on a 2000 tacoma when i was buying (ooh and white face guages)...... or 3800 more with rear locker which was the only thing id have wanted. Bought The sr5 and added a donahoe/deaver combo and arb with m8000 for the price difference.

I say no, looks at home on the tacos and even the older 3rd Gen 4runners but not our 80s.

When I see “TRD” I read “TURD”.

Gimmick.

:meh:

I agree, doesn't look right on an 80. A land cruiser should not mimmick a 90's taco. Also, is there legitimately anything "TRD" on the truck aside from the sticker? If not, then why do you need a sticker?

View attachment 1635118

Bronze might look cool

With respect not to stray to far off the L/C topic .......

Within a 2 weeks of buying this Darrel Waltrip Edition TRD Tundra , I DE- Nascar'd it completely and DE-TRD'd it cosmetically with exception to the front stainless steel mesh grill , Inside and out . Then installed two tone FJ Cruiser New car take off rims i had been hoarding for some time on some New BFG's A/T's

DSCN5761.JPG

TRD is upgrade for stock models that aren’t that good, no TRD sticker means no upgrade(needed). Every LC/LX is fully capable and don’t need no stinking upgrades from TRD! Ok, that’s my theory at least.

Haha! I can appreciate that theory! I think it is telling that Toyota has never offered a TRD package on the Land Cruiser. I think that has more to do with the fact that they transitioned the Land Cruiser into a luxury vehicle, and got away from the FJ40 utilitarian roots. But that's just my $0.02.

That's a great question. I think that the TRD Off Road package was first offered on a Tacoma in 1995. I'm not sure about the 4Runners, but I think some of them got the Off Road package too. At that time, TRD Off Road had a specific meaning - it meant an upgraded suspension and a rear locking differential (plus a cool bedside sticker). The suspension was upgraded Toyota springs, and (typically) Bilstein shocks. The Pre-Runner (2WD) Tacomas also came with the TRD Off Road option.

So while it isn't exactly period correct, we're in the ballpark of the Toyota TRD Off Road era.

View attachment 1635149

some one does not agree ...................

Interesting!

Would look good next to an Overlandbound badge.... :cautious:

I'm only mall-crawling anyway. Stickers and badges everywhere!!!

There a guy over on the Tacoma world forums that can do pretty much any custom "bedside" decal you want. I got one for my t100. If you don't find a mud vendor to make them try:
Custom Made Vinyl Stickers & Bedsides Made in Hawaii

Thanks!!! I had reached out to CBoy for some retro graphics on my '99 Tacoma. Great recommendation!

Im not a decal fan but the position youve ahown seems appropriate and best...... there are some on here in less fitting locals like over the wheel arch.

Back sliding window may not look bad.

That ligtbar is about as silly as the TRD banners from the factory. Lets put a faux protective device up front and in front of said protection put a fragile accesory lol.

TRD has to be the biggest upsale gimmick in their bag of sales tricks. $3200 bucks extra for a decal and bilsteins on a 2000 tacoma when i was buying (ooh and white face guages)...... or 3800 more with rear locker which was the only thing id have wanted. Bought The sr5 and added a donahoe/deaver combo and arb with m8000 for the price difference.

I agree, placement is key. I think a lot of guys place them too high, because they don't want to deal with the fuel door. But all you have to do is put them exactly where they belong on the quarter panel, and then use a razor blade between the gap in the fuel door, and roll the extra material over. Viola!

You're absolutely right, the Toyota packages have become an overused marketing gimmick. That's really unfortunate because they used to have a specific meaning and were legitimate upgrade packages. For example, the old Toyota pickup SR5 packages used to mean they had "Sport Rally" wheels and a 5-speed transmission. The TRD Off Road package used to mean upgraded Bilstein suspension and rear locker. Now they've just diluted it. Even the Toyota salespeople and marketing teams don't know exactly which each package means or what's included. Plus, there's too many of them - TRD Sport, TRD Off Road, TRD Pro, TRD Baja, Texas Edition, Limited, etc. I remember shopping for a new 2nd Gen Tacoma on the Toyota lot. I kept asking specific questions about what each package came with, and nobody could give me a straight answer. They've just overplayed their hand.

I say no, looks at home on the tacos and even the older 3rd Gen 4runners but not our 80s.

I can appreciate that. Thanks for the feedback!

When I see “TRD” I read “TURD”.

Gimmick.

:meh:

Haha! Fair enough.

I agree, doesn't look right on an 80. A land cruiser should not mimmick a 90's taco. Also, is there legitimately anything "TRD" on the truck aside from the sticker? If not, then why do you need a sticker?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "legitimately TRD." Like I mentioned above, the TRD Off Road packages used to mean that the truck had an upgraded Bilstein suspension and a rear locker diff. My truck has an upgraded OME suspension and front and rear locking diffs. So I guess you could say, "Well, it's not Toyota upgraded springs and Bilstein shocks," but I think that misses the overall point. The TRD Off Road package used to represent the most capable off road truck in the Toyota lineup. I think my truck coincides with that theme.

Either way, thanks for the feedback!

If I was a flat biller I would totally get one, brah!

@Aloha Jen is a flat biller! Does she have one?!?!

Try Crawlorado if you want TRD decals. That's where I got mine.

TRD Decal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom