FJ80 Trans removal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the middle of the beginning stages of an old 3FE 80 series refresh. Decided to rebuild the motor after major power loss and smoking. Compression wasn’t great. Long story short I’m doing this in my garage and was unable to pull the trans and engine as a combo (as I have done before). When I got the trans out the valve cover slammed right into the firewall. I have never pulled the trans/transfer separately before and didn’t read anything in the FSM about supporting the rear of the engine. I assumed the motor mounts would hold it at least some. I quickly yanked the motor out and have inspected the mounts and they seem ok. Did I do this wrong or are my motor mounts just shot. Thanks!

Sorry I know but the cam on my phone is severely cracked. There’s not much to see now as the motor is out and the mounts physically look ok. Before I removed the motor I looked at them and they were stretched but not torn. I pried on them and had only a small amount of deflection. They felt firm. I guess the question is normally when the trans is removed will the motor lean back enough to hit the firewall or are the mounts supposed to be strong enough to support it.

10-4. Thanks for your reply. Maybe someone who has had just a 3fe sitting under their hood with no transmission attached could chime in.

I am in the middle of the beginning stages of an old 3FE 80 series refresh. Decided to rebuild the motor after major power loss and smoking. Compression wasn’t great. Long story short I’m doing this in my garage and was unable to pull the trans and engine as a combo (as I have done before). When I got the trans out the valve cover slammed right into the firewall. I have never pulled the trans/transfer separately before and didn’t read anything in the FSM about supporting the rear of the engine. I assumed the motor mounts would hold it at least some. I quickly yanked the motor out and have inspected the mounts and they seem ok. Did I do this wrong or are my motor mounts just shot. Thanks!
The drivetrain is supported by 3 mounts. 2 on the base of the engine and 1 on the transmission attached to the crossmember. By removing the transmission/transfer case you lost the rear mount and the engine tipped backwards with no support.
I would say that if your motor mounts are original, now would be the time to replace all 3 of them, as you probably tore them in half.

3FE specific mounts:
12361-61050 INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, FRONT
12362-61010 INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, FRONT
12371-61060 INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, REAR

Last edited:
The drivetrain is supported by 3 mounts. 2 on the base of the engine and 1 on the transfer case attached to the crossmember. By removing the transmission/transfer case you lost the rear mount and the engine tipped backwards with no support.
I would say that if your motor mounts are original, now would be the time to replace all 3 of them, as you probably tore them in half.

3FE specific mounts:
12361-61050 INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, FRONT
12362-61010 INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, FRONT
12371-61060 INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, REAR

Thanks Jon. I tried my best to pull the whole thing as a unit as I have done before but with the angle of my driveway it just wasn’t happening. I’m assuming that even with brand new front motor mounts it would tip back anyway considering how far forward they are. Shame on me for not paying attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom