FJ80 Tranny Gears - Is there Swap-outs available?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.cardomain.com
I'm wondering if there are swap-out gears made by someone for an FJ80 tranny. And for once, i don't mean lower gears, but rather higher. The purpose- none other than better gas mileage. I know there are "aftermarket" gears available for an FJ60 and other yotas, even T100s. So is there a set of 4 that would fit the FJ80's tranny with higher ratios? Would this not even affect my gas mileage? Of course it would...the 80's bad mileage is due to all-time 4X4, it's xtreme curb weight, and low gearing. Now i've already found out all about the part time 4X4 swap kit...which gives you almost 2-3 more MPG...plus, this 80 is already getting 12 MPG anyhow due to extreme electrical modification, Intake & exhaust upgrades, and passive driving. I plan on 33"s because that size works best with the 4.11 axle gears, so whether you agree with me or not on this subject, bigger tires in this instance will help mileage. Any info regarding the tranny gearing would be greatly appreciated, especially if someone knows where to order a direct fit set already. Thanks
Landbruiser, Swampcruiser

If you really think that the larger rolling resistance and reduced aerodynamics of larger tires (more air will flow under the vehicle as you lift it) will improve gas mileage...well, let us know how that works out for you.

Maybe you can find a set of 3.55 diff gears?

Nay

Or you could ask the question:

"Is our FJ80 drivers learning?"

Sorry. No offense intended.
Your subject line reminded me of some other similarly poor grammar.

Hayes

Your theory is correct, but I think that you will find that you will have to use more go-pedal to get your 80 to whatever speed you would like with either taller (numarically lower) gears or bigger tires.

You are correct that my 80 (33x12.50) w/ stock gears gave my a mile or two per gallon on a flat, open strech of highway. But I lost MPG in town, in traffic, and going up hills. The reason is because my tires are wider (more rolling resistance), heavier (by at least 30 pounds per tire/wheel combo), and overall gearing. Toyota engineers designed the rig with the best posible gear ratio (for a stock rig) taking into account all of these factors and more. Meaning it is the best compromise of power and fuel milage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom