fj80 swap auto to manual gearbox (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Experts

I need your help plz I have an fj80 mod 1997, 4.5 L petrol engine, I need to swap the automatic transmission to manual transmission,
I noticed that the manual gearbox is shorter than the auto, so I have to open a hole in the cabin for the gearbox shifter shifter, as well for the gearbox mounting we have to change the bolts,

my question is do I have to change the ECU?
what electric issue I should have or I have to do it directly??

best Regards

Antonio Karam

It will work fine with your existing ecu, but will trigger the check engine light with various trans codes. If you can live with the light on, no need for another ecu.

Being in Lebanon, I would imagine he doesn't have the same ECU we have in the US. I would also imagine he has a lot more resources in his backyard for manual swaps than we have here on mud.

Antonio, while ih8mud is an amazing resource for these 80 series, I would still say about 90% of the content is centered around the US. I would suggest that you find someone in your area that knows your local 80 series configurations well. If we tell you what will work on our trucks (that are configured quite differently) it could end poorly for you.

Being in Lebanon, I would imagine he doesn't have the same ECU we have in the US. I would also imagine he has a lot more resources in his backyard for manual swaps than we have here on mud.

Antonio, while ih8mud is an amazing resource for these 80 series, I would still say about 90% of the content is centered around the US. I would suggest that you find someone in your area that knows your local 80 series configurations well. If we tell you what will work on our trucks (that are configured quite differently) it could end poorly for you.

Thank u for the info

I beleive the fj80 in the us and the one that we are having in lebanon are similar,
Sure i prefer that the check engine light will not show so i will change the ECU. ( any specific ecu number)
Recently i stalled a magnuson supercharge it is working perfectly,
Still the manual gearbox.

Regards

Neutral safety switch that was on your auto needs to be bypassed. Need to jump the wires together (feed to nss, and feed to starter) do you have the wiring diagram?

no I don't have the diagram. can u plz send it to me if u have them

On the automatic harness, look for Red with Black stripes (Reverse Circuit) and Yellow (12V). Attach these to the wiring sticking out of the manual box and you will be good to go.

You should be looking for 89661-60340 for the ECU. This is MT for GCC left hand drive vehicles with EFI 1FZ-FE motor.

If you can find a bunch of these let me know. :)

Thank u, tommorrow ill tell u if i can find a bunch of those ecu number,

Do u have some pics showing thire wires and harness it will be much better for my mecanic and the electrician to do it perfectly
Regards

On the automatic harness, look for Red with Black stripes (Reverse Circuit) and Yellow (12V). Attach these to the wiring sticking out of the manual box and you will be good to go.

You should be looking for 89661-60340 for the ECU. This is MT for GCC left hand drive vehicles with EFI 1FZ-FE motor.

If you can find a bunch of these let me know. :)

This is for the reverse lights circuit no? He needs the nss bypassed.

Starting circuit with nss. Looks like black/white spliced to black/red on original trans harness.

Screenshot_2016-05-31-15-35-02.png

Reverse lights circuit

Screenshot_2016-05-31-15-35-44.png

Good day

if I change the ECU to 89661-60340 I still have to make the bypass for the neutral safety switch??

regards

Yes.

Neutral safety switch is easy. It's a black and white wire going to the trans. On mine they were on their own circular connector. I just connected black to white and it started.

Good day all

If i keep the neutral safety switch attach it will make any disadvantage??check the attached photo.

image.jpeg

Good day all

If i keep the neutral safety switch attach it will make any disadvantage??check the attached photo.

View attachment 1267873

I'm confused, why keep that attached? You need some of those wires to make the reverse lights work. Just remove the wire harness and cut the wires you need and tape up the ones you don't need anymore...

Good day

Just finished, everything look great but i have the ABS light is on any tricks guys to turn it off??
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom