FJ80 Steering Kit for FJ40 ? Available kits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all, I'm wondering if any vendors out there are offering an FJ80 steering kit for the FJ40 disk brake front axle. Kit would include the rebuilt steering box, required linkages, brackets, hoses, pump, etc...

Thanks

Hello all, I'm wondering if any vendors out there are offering an FJ80 steering kit for the FJ40 disk brake front axle. Kit would include the rebuilt steering box, required linkages, brackets, hoses, pump, etc...

Thanks

Iron Pig. But you have to have a 73-up firewall, otherwise you are on your own for figuring out the column.

Thanks
No kit for you… but I suspect it would be very similar to the Scout II conversion I am just finishing. An ‘81 Toyota 4x4 TRE gave me the extra 5” I needed for the tie rod to work. You’d need a couple scab plates, 4 - 2” lengths of DOM tube, 4 - grade 8 bolts & nuts & lock washers… a couple lines, and then a pump and mounts.

Edit: also a Flaming River DD slip shaft, a DD u-joint, and a DD - splines u-joint.

I couldn’t find a kit and ended up piecing it together:
Used 80 box
New 80 pressure side hose- slightly tweaked to fit. Metric end to metric Saginaw box
FROR tie and drag links
Fj80 tre at the pitarm
Fj60 tres everywhere else
I forgot to mention, I used the IPOR template when I made my frame plates. Also, don’t forget a collapsible column section for safety. I used the one that came attached to my box.

The last few pages of my build have more details of a similar conversion. Although a Saginaw box and pump instead.

Not exactly what you're looking for but here is how the PO put an FJ60 box on my 40. He has a list of parts midway down the page here. Steering is effortless with 35x12.50's
1644766824211.png

That does look clean and straight forward. Thx for the pic and the link.
With this setup, the easy part was mounting the steering box and connecting the linkages. It was simple and straightforward. In theory the rest was downhill… :D

The hardest part for my application was designing a tensioner that was lined up correctly and cleared the “air compressor”. The next hardest was mixing and matching parts from 3 pumps to get the needed pulleys and parts for the bell drive to work.

For simplicity I used F350 shock towers to keep my extra long shocks (also because I no longer had OEM ones to modify).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom