Fj80 sound system replacement recomendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I don’t know what the fxxx is the deal with editing around here OR why my pos phone decided to drop 2 extra photos on here of a 40 , but it did.

Hate to bring back an old thread but cant find an answer in newer threads.

When you guys replaced your factory hu you used a new wiring harness and the two grey/different connections inside the dash correct? When doing this you're bypassing the factory amp, also correct? My question is do your dash and rear cargo speakers still work? Most aftermarket hu are only 4 channels (front and rear doors).

Crutchfield support said the front doors and dash were connected in parallel, they didnt know about the rear cargo.

I'd like to put tweeters in the cargo area to balance out a sub, same up front. Can anybody confirm all 8 speakers still work with bypassing the factory amp?

Thanks in advance, joe.

So you’re wanting to power the boot/hatch and dash speakers as a second set to the front and rears? Said differently, you want to wire up your dash speakers to the front door speakers so they play the same sound (and vice versa in the rear)? I guess it COULD work, but I think it’d drain the sound out since the HU has more drivers to run in tandem. I’m not a stereo expert though, so maybe someone else can chime in. I have to pull mine apart, but I’m fairly confident the P.O. bipassed the amp via the gray harness...in sound go, it limits sound output to the 4 speakers. Hatch and dash will not work.

My 80 had an aftermarket in there when I bought it. It’s fine, but it really lacks the full sound and richness I’d like. The front door speakers are focals, which are great, but they totally dominate the rear door alpines. In fact, when I futz with the fader, the sound just gets messy and distorted. It makes me think the install was done incorrectly.

Like you, I’d like to get the hatch speakers working at a minimum, and get a powered sub like a Kicker hideaway adding some depth of sound. I just haven’t prioritized it. Might be a winter job.

Back to your question though, I think your best bet would be an amp to properly power the extra speakers.

Hate to bring back an old thread but cant find an answer in newer threads.

When you guys replaced your factory hu you used a new wiring harness and the two grey/different connections inside the dash correct? When doing this you're bypassing the factory amp, also correct? My question is do your dash and rear cargo speakers still work? Most aftermarket hu are only 4 channels (front and rear doors).

Crutchfield support said the front doors and dash were connected in parallel, they didnt know about the rear cargo.

I'd like to put tweeters in the cargo area to balance out a sub, same up front. Can anybody confirm all 8 speakers still work with bypassing the factory amp?

Thanks in advance, joe.

When I wired in a new deck and door speakers I was still getting sound out of the blown speakers on the lower dash and near the rear hatch. Once I disconnected the lower dash and rear hatch speakers it sounded much better since it wasn't trying to drive old blown speakers and all of the power could go to the new ones.

Personally I don't think the lower dash speakers or rear hatch speakers are worth replacing.

Good morning Everyone, For now, I am on a budget so I chose to just replace the front door panel speakers. I used the (Pioneer TSA1606C Pioneer TS-A1606C 6-1/2" Component Speaker Package) to outfit my front door panels. I first disconnected all the speakers in the car because they were absolutely crusty; I plan to replace the back door panel speakers and then add a sub box onto the system later on. Then I proceeded to wire up the component speakers which I now know I mounted in a not so great position right behind the door handle. Each side has it's own mini amp so I hid that into the door panel. and tip tied all the wires together. **Make sure the new speaker wires do not get in the way of the window glass when it is lowered... made that mistake** you will need to cut a small bit of the cardboard to make the new speaker clips fit better. Overall I love the sound and bass from these speakers. Other than that I heard that you can fit 6.5-inch speakers in the rear doors with some help from spacers. Maybe others could add to that. Best of luck! I will add pics asap.

How/where did you mount your tweeters?

Could you post a pic please?

About to pull the trigger on some Morel Nano 602s.

Thanks!

I also just put the Morel Virtus Nano's in the front door. They sound amazing. Crazy how similar in shape they are to the stock speakers, really shallow with the cone inverted over the magnet. They are slightly larger in diameter, so had to make a little room to mount. ended up having to extend the hole where the stock grills attached and then epoxy the grills back on. They are a 2 way speaker, and the tweeter easily mounted on the dash, where there were already stock tweeters.

I found a double din Mcintosh head unit/amp combo on ebay that came out of a '01 Subaru and also installed that. The amp turned out to be dead, so got a small Nakamichi amp instead, and installed under the drivers seat. Sounds really damn good. Still haven't messed with the rear speakers or the sub, but almost don't even need them as is.

The head unit is slightly taller than the stock, and cracked the woodgrain sticker, so i just pulled the top and bottom of the sticker off and left the sides for now. Oh, the unit also has an out in the back for a cd changer, which I was able to plug a bluetooth adapter into. Works great. The adapter has a usb and 1/8 input as well that I just snaked into the glove box.

View attachment 1550311

How/where did you mount your tweeters?

Could you post a pic please?

About to pull the trigger on some Morel Nano 602s.

Thanks!

For SQ I went with Morel Virtus Nano spkrs and Im so glad I did. Sounds I didnt know were even in my decades old favorite songs began popping out imediately and still are. They're. spendy but fantastic and they fit anywhere depth wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom