FJ80 Seat transplant from Audi... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evenin all,

Well I can’t stomach the thought of spending insane money to rebuild the OEM seats in my 91 FJ80. Sure it would be cool but this is not a restoration rig... So I grabbed up a pair of Audi A4 seats out of a sport model. Pretty much the same seats and an S4 only no fancy stitching and the pair only cost $250.00. Please follow along as I go through the process of getting these seats fitted into the FJ80.

As of today we have done one dry fit to see how much room we had and I was able to confirm they will work, just gonna take a little sawzall action and a little welding.

Steps I am taking consist of a lot of measuring establishing center line of each seat and the offset of the rails to make sure I am actually sitting center on the steering wheel.

Found that the “hump” that the OEM seats bolt to is gonna need a little trim at the center... oh well looks like I am going to be looking into makin a custom center console now too! I knew wood shop would pay off some day!!

60F5FE84-F34D-44A4-B6FC-E0B97C8FC9CA.jpeg

1BBC4473-94D1-432D-B7A0-E1B600EC344D.jpeg

E71087B6-E563-4A47-AE75-5A289FAD6D86.jpeg

I have seen a handful of guys/ gals do the WRX seats. Those look very nice but I am 6’ 2” somewhat muscular so those seats just don’t work for me. I test drove a couple of the WRX’s but I just couldn’t feel comfortable in the seats. I owned an Audi S4 a while back and loved the seats in that. So if your a bigger guy or gal maybe this thread can help....

I'm really digging this and been wanting to perform the same swap on mine. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Here's my efforts of fitting TTRS seats into my LC105. I ended up making individual brackets for each corner, instead of building a frame. This seemed to work well and was very secure.

I didn't keep them in the car for very long because the switches for the electric motors had some corrosion and were temperamental.
Also I had a sore back at the time, and I think that RS seats were a little ambitious... haha

IMG_8817.JPG

IMG_9313.JPG

Very cool, I've had those seats in my S4 and similar seats in my A7. I've always thought that the 80 would be awesome with my audi seats in it.

Sub'd

Also if your seats are from a b8 or B8.5 S4 then they likely have heater elements within them. Make sure you wire them in!

Here's my efforts of fitting TTRS seats into my LC105. I ended up making individual brackets for each corner, instead of building a frame. This seemed to work well and was very secure.

I didn't keep them in the car for very long because the switches for the electric motors had some corrosion and were temperamental.
Also I had a sore back at the time, and I think that RS seats were a little ambitious... haha

View attachment 1810453

View attachment 1810454

Dude, they look like they were made for the 105!

do you have any pics of what you did with the brackets?

Very cool, I've had those seats in my S4 and similar seats in my A7. I've always thought that the 80 would be awesome with my audi seats in it.

Sub'd

Also if your seats are from a b8 or B8.5 S4 then they likely have heater elements within them. Make sure you wire them in!

Its a very rare day that you'd want heated seats in Sydney Aus! A really cold winters day in Sydney would be 45-50F :rofl:

I installed heaters in my factory 93 seats and separated the back from the butt, so I can just turn the back on if I want. With my sore back I find myself turning the back on even on days above 90° F days, I love it!

@mudgudgeon ill have a hunt around for the photos or I’ll just go find them and take some photos.
The perforated leather on parts of the seats perfectly matched the handbrake, but that was about it. Width was pretty good. I had it slightly too close to the centre console and scored it a little.

Also, if you can get ones with heaters, I highly recommend it.

I put golf R seats into a be caddy van, and used the heaters in that tonnes.
Drove it to the snow and the switches failed and we spent 2 hours with full heat before I stopped the car and just pulled the fuses. Haha

C829F9E9-B45C-4C1D-A9AC-7534514F708C.jpeg

View attachment 1810453

View attachment 1810454
Dang those look good! Sad that they didn’t work out for you... I have been waiting for a good chance to work on my braces but no free time so far. This last weekend was oil change and trying to set timing... yeah timing a 3fe is a pain in the donkey!!

@mudgudgeon ill have a hunt around for the photos or I’ll just go find them and take some photos.
The perforated leather on parts of the seats perfectly matched the handbrake, but that was about it. Width was pretty good. I had it slightly too close to the centre console and scored it a little.

Also, if you can get ones with heaters, I highly recommend it.

I put golf R seats into a be caddy van, and used the heaters in that tonnes.
Drove it to the snow and the switches failed and we spent 2 hours with full heat before I stopped the car and just pulled the fuses. Haha

View attachment 1810464
I also have a 2017 GTI MK7 That I love the seats in. However the wrecking yards wanted $1000 USD for them a piece! So $250 for the pair of full auto and heated Audi’s became the choice! So glad there is such chatter about this. I plan to attach my drawings and final measurements to this post when it’s all said and done with details on centering the seats and everything...

What model years work?

I think the years are optional. No seats seem to be an exact drop in. Most sport seats appear to be wider than the OEM Toyota seats. I am considering sacrificing my center consol if it becomes an issue and fabricating one from wood and steel.

picked up my seats today. They feel damn comfy sitting in them on the garage floor
One thing that might bug me is lack of adjustment in the headrest height (unless it electric)
will be a while before I am ready to fit them though.

View attachment 1810453

View attachment 1810454
excellent blueprint seats look badass, BUT Im not sure how to say this...but your steering wheel is on wrong side.

excellent blueprint seats look badass, BUT Im not sure how to say this...but your steering wheel is on wrong side.
LMAO! I actually had the chance to get a Diesel RHD from Japan with 90k on the odometer... guy wanted $16k USD... I paid $8k for mine... figured I could live with the loss... Wish I could make my way to the land down under and get one... maybe the next family trip needs to be to Australia!

Reactions: RFB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom