Fj80 Saved my life. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad to read that you are both well. Looks like you have a possible buggy project on your hands there.

Would the frame and axles have survived such an ordeal?
Hard to say. If the rig were in my neck of the woods I’d be looking into buying it. What years is it, did the OP say?

So glad you are both still with us. Thanks for sharing this story.

Godspeed to both your recoveries.
Any rig built after 2008 would have fared far worse. 👍

Last edited:
I’ve been through one of these events in a 1994 FZJ due to a driver who lacked the understanding of how tall heavy rigs reacts when pushed outside the envelope.

While it wasn’t enjoyable it was slightly surreal because everything slowed way down and I never once felt worried that the vehicle wouldn’t protect us. I vividly remember us going off the road to the right at 60mph when my sister reacts by cranking the wheel to the left. Swerving back on to the road, now oversteering, skidding sideways in a slow 180 degree turn across the highway, I clearly remember seeing oncoming traffic through my passenger window and thinking “wow this really isn’t good”

Surprisingly we didn’t roll on the road, we kept spinning around and ended up pointing in the entirely opposite direction from which we left the road initially. I started to think that we might slow down enough to get out of this until I saw the shoulder of the road which consisted of a 3 ft dip into a ditch.

We slid off the road and the tires went down into the ditch where they bit into the ground sending us for a ride.

I clearly remember seeing the ground at my window, then on the roof while watching the windshield splinter, then finally to the drivers side shattering the window before we flopped back onto the wheels.

Looking back on that experience it fared far better than any other SUV of its era would’ve (and as a first responder I’ve seen enough to know how those other vehicles fair). Sure there’s traction control etc now but it still can’t fix all mistakes.

Glad your OK. Seriously glad.

Happy to see that you both are ok. 80's can be replaced. Life, not so much

Glad you're okay, this is scary pic. I always see people say 80s do so well in accidents which might be true for collisions but rollovers is a different strory. Every picture I've seen of a rollover has all the pillars completely crushed and the whole roof collapsed. These trucks are very heavy and the fragile pillars seem to provide almost no protection. It seems like the only reason people come out alive is because of the extra headroom. If the roof were a bit lower this might have been a different type of thread. We all love our 80s but let's not kid ourselves - crash safety was not a big priority in the 90s.

We all love our 80s but let's not kid ourselves - crash safety was not a big priority in the 90s.
If upon hill Crash Safety we find your argument, we've arrived in a '78 Malibu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom