FJ80 Relay problems: any details available? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.cardomain.com
I am wondering if anyone has any "detailed" information regarding the "FJ80 Relay repair." I've seen the article on Safari 4X4 and what Joe Chaff has written concerning the problem, but has anyone else "fixed" their own dilemma, or even had a dealership fix it? Any pictures out their of this repair, or maybe a step-by-step instruction? I understand the electrical system...to a point...but am fearful that in attempting to upgrade the 12 gauge wire to 10 gauge i will simply create yet another problem.
By the way, i did replace the fuel sending unit...seemed to help, and at least now my gas gauge works too...the 80 will start 10 straight times, then strand us at the grocery store...or won't even fire in the driveway after sitting all night. So much to wonder? Sporadic starting and yes, the RPMs do drop occasionally during the drive. Seems like the diagnosis of "overheating relay" would be correct. Entire fuel system is new too...needed replaced due to neglect from previous owner.
Thanks for all comments and links to this problem. Oh yeah, i did find out from Toyota after much deliberation that they were "officially aware" of this sort of problem and that they "fixed it" in the 93 FJ80s...so the 91 and 92s are the only ones susceptible. Cause in 94, then came the FZJ80! Man, Yotas and LCs.
Thanks,
Land bruisin, Swamp Cruisin

PS...I did a search already of the site...and other popular LC sites...so don't use that as an answer. Some info, just wondering if yall brilliant cruiser mechanics have any more inside those noggins.
thanks

Not sure I understand your fear. Simply replacing a 12 ga with a 10 ga wire will not introduce any problems for you and will likely go a long way to solving your problem. If the relay is really toasted, you may need a new one too. But other than that... :confused:

My simple minded solution to relay problems I've faced has been to replace the relay with a bigger one and see if it works. If a 30 watt relay isn't enough and heats up, change it for a 60 watt relay. I did this to my alarm and it worked. I also did this to a solenoid that wasn't putting out enough for my starter and it worked. However we have different cars so have a caution and have a talk with a friendly car electrician who is a genuine car electrician.

Kalawang

This is what I did.
Access the underside of the relay/fuse box.
I believe you need to unbolt a few things to get this far, 10 to 15 minutes with a 10mm.
There is a 12 gauge wire, yellow with a red tracer that goes from the EFI relay to EB1.
Undo the loom that goes to the EB1 connector.
EB1 is the first connector about 12 inches from the EFI relay, that one needs to be changed to 10 gauge.
There is a 12 gauge wire, red with a yellow tracer that goes from the EFI fuse to the EFI relay, that needs to be changed to 10 gauge.
At first I tried and failed to remove the female connectors that fits in the box for the relay and fuse to plug in.
I just cut the wires leaving about 1/2" and crimped the 10 gauge using heatshrink and rewraped the loom in 3m vinyl electrical tape.
If you wire harness loom is brittle replace it. Mine fell apart like saltine crackers.

Hope this help, good luck.

Great stuff guys...especially the step-by-step by Frank. I appreciate yall's time to write these comments. Ima going to give this a shot this weekend. See what happens. Im actually almost excited about working on my 80 again cuz it seems that this time my fix will actually be the solution! Appreciation.

Thanks to FrankTorres, my 80 is now EFI upgrade equipped. Made a noticeable difference...anyone doubting this solution, please email me for further details. Still slow, but can notice more "pep" or "get-up-&-go as it no longer feels like its pulling a 20ton cat track ho. Much smoother acceleration, eliminating the "jerkiness" of before resulting in a much more enjoyable ride thats somewhat faster and even getting me an extra mile per gallon! Great fix...thanks

PolkLandbruiser,

I went through much the same headache some time ago with mine-did the wire upgrade, thought it could be the fuel filter-replaced that, after the wire upgrade swithced to the GP Sorenson relay-no go. Though as Murphy would have it all of these things "seemed" to work for a while...

In the end-I had a broken connection within the distributor that would touch for a while and then become jossled loose and I would have no start woes again.

Just a heads up in case the trouble creeps up on you again.

I would have been a :grinpimp: if I would have gotten to that from the get-go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom