FJ80 Rear View Mirror Gentex Intall with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This write-up is for a Gentex rear view mirror install I just did and wanted to share. I will give a quick summary and then some pictures. First I got a used Gentex 177 mirror, mirror harness, temp sensor, and temp sensor harness off of ebay for $48 shipped. It was all from a 2002 Tahoe. The mirror harness will be a 7 pin, only 4 pins will actually be used: ignition power, ground, and two to the sensor. Make sure you get the two-line display type mirror so the compass and outside temp are always showing simultaneously. Some models just have a single-line display, so you manually have to switch between compass or temp. Also note that these mirrors have an autodimmer which works very well. I mounted the outside sensor on the grill support just like it is on my 2005 suburban which seems to work well so I just did a similar mounting scheme. I then ran the two wires from the sensor along the fender, through the firewall, up the A-pillar and across the headliner to the area where the stock mirror mounts. I drilled a small hole in the headliner underneath the trim piece for the mirror mount. The new mirror requires the windshield wedge that is glued onto the windshield. The wedges are cheap and the glue was $4 at O’Rielly’s. Don’t use too much glue, I learned this the first time. Just a small drop is what the instructions say and they mean it. I wanted the install to look clean so since the stock mirror is removed I would have an ugly mark on the headline where it used to be. I decided to machine a delrin (plastic) block on my mill which has the same features as the stock mirror mount. This allows me to use the stock mirror mount trim which just snaps onto the new machined block to give the install a clean look. I can make lots more of these parts if anyone is interested. They are on ebay right now.

Land Cruiser FJ80 Rear View Mirror Mounting Block Gentex upgrade

For hooking up the power to the mirror I used this thread. Thanks for that write up by the way.

How to tap the switched power from the moonroof / sunroof

Here are some photos of my install.

Two photos of the temp sensor-

Wires pass through headliner-

Machined Block and Mirror Mount side by side-

Final Install-

tempsensor1_edit.JPG

tempsensor2_edit.JPG

wireheadliner.JPG

Mount_compare.JPG

final.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to provide a quick update. The mirror is working well and temp sensor location seems to be good because the temp is always right on even in the 0 degree weather like it was this morning. The mirror wedge did fall off the windshield for a second time while I was adjusting the mirror. I believe I used too much adhesive or it just isn't setting up well in the cold weather. Either way I found on another forum that someone recommended 5 minute JB weld epoxy and swore by it. I tried it and it is a extremely strong bond. I have tried to break it off and have gotten in a few rough off road trips including some washboard and it is still holding.

I was planning on doing a Gentex mirror as well BUT....I have the soft headliner and I want to use the mirror with auto dim, compass, and homelink. I think I have a way to do a clean install and will definitely have to be different from yours but I appreciate the write up.

Once you get the adhesive figured out you will wonder how you ever did without it.

You should. I am really enjoying mine and the 5 minute JB weld is doing great at holding the wedge on the windshield. I can't help myself and keep yanking on the mirror to see if I can pull it off the windshield again but it is stuck on solid. If you pull the trigger and do it check out the trim mounting piece on ebay. I just had someone buy another today.

The other day I was reading this thread and thought this would be a nice mod so I jumped on eBay and bid on a Gentex 177 and then forgot all about it until a few minutes ago when eBay emailed me to say I won :crybaby:
So for $31 I now have this mirror heading my way...eBay and whiskey don't mix....

Just placed order for your mounting block, great idea. Do you have any recommendations for which Gentex 177 to get? There are many different ones not sure if 1 is better than other.

I am definitely not an expert on Gentex 177 mirrors and don't know if there are any big differences. I have done this install on two vehicles now and used Gentex 177s mirrors on both. They both were from the 2000-2002 era. So look for something from a Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado. I recommend getting the temp sensor, temp sensor harness, mirror wire harness, and mirror all from the same vehicle just to ensure compatibility. Thanks for buying the mounting block.

Received block yesterday, looks like it will do the job. Mirror hasn't showed yet, hopefully b4 weekend. Thanks again, good idea.

just bought your last mirror block on Ebay today can't wait to get this thing up in my 96 FZJ80! thanks.

Does the sensor read triple digit temps? Just thinking about using the temp sensor to rear coolant. Two birds with one stone, although it wouldn't be super accurate, it would give me a nice data point to reference

Does the sensor read triple digit temps? Just thinking about using the temp sensor to rear coolant. Two birds with one stone, although it wouldn't be super accurate, it would give me a nice data point to reference

What about using a different temp sensor? Sending same type of signal? Maybe call Gentex.

What about using a different temp sensor? Sending same type of signal? Maybe call Gentex.

Good point, sure would be nice to get that info, and this is a pretty unobtrusive way to do it. Plus it would be fun telling people its over 200 degrees outside and that is why they are hot in my car...not because the air conditioning isn't working well enough for them.

hey bud I bought a block from you a couple of weeks back and now I need another one. ETA? Thanks.

Hey I'm trying to buy a second block on Ebay do you have any more sir? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom