FJ80 Post knuckle job issue…or normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a more adventurous than desired knuckle rebuild job (one side still pending) I may be doing it over again. It went back together, but it’s driving me crazy trying to figure out why it was different. Just doesn’t seem right.

All was well until final reassembly and pulling the axle via bolt out to install the axle clip and dust cap. Instead of being able to pull gently and seat the clip, I had to add a flat washer and a breaker bar to lever it out and it still barely cleared enough to install the clip. Makes me really nervous.

I did overdrive the inner seal with the wits end tool, but I can’t fathom any way that affects position versus just where the axle rests. I did notice that the previous job didn’t use any gaskets, all were some sort of gasket maker goop.

Anyone else run into this? Trying to figure out what I’m looking for as I think my only solution is to tear it back down and start over. Ugh.

After a more adventurous than desired knuckle rebuild job (one side still pending) I may be doing it over again. It went back together, but it’s driving me crazy trying to figure out why it was different. Just doesn’t seem right.

All was well until final reassembly and pulling the axle via bolt out to install the axle clip and dust cap. Instead of being able to pull gently and seat the clip, I had to add a flat washer and a breaker bar to lever it out and it still barely cleared enough to install the clip. Makes me really nervous.

I did overdrive the inner seal with the wits end tool, but I can’t fathom any way that affects position versus just where the axle rests. I did notice that the previous job didn’t use any gaskets, all were some sort of gasket maker goop.

Anyone else run into this? Trying to figure out what I’m looking for as I think my only solution is to tear it back down and start over. Ugh.
Your wheel bearings are not seated properly either in the hub or on the spindle.
I recently had a problem with new non- Koyo bearings not wanting to slide all the way into the spindle

Pull you hub and double check everything. You should NEVER have to force it.

Many thanks, that makes sense. I’ll dive back in. I was really paranoid about the races being driven correctly and seated, but was admittedly more lax about the bearings (Koyo’s, but still.)

On the bright side, my diff loves this. This will be the third fresh batch of fluid in a year. 😂

Your wheel bearings are not seated properly either in the hub or on the spindle.
I recently had a problem with new non- Koyo bearings not wanting to slide all the way into the spindle

Pull you hub and double check everything. You should NEVER have to force it.
Its not really forcing it if my IR 1/2 inch does it for me.

The mystery deepens. Just took it back down to the c clip.

Now it Moves freely and stays. When assembled it took effort and would almost “spring” back in beyond the c clip groove.

This is as far as I can pull it outboard. It does slide easily now, but you can hear it audibly stop against metal. It’s definitely not going any farther. Still doesn’t seem right?

image.jpg

Nothing.

I’m giving it a rest for the night. Just ordered a second set of gaskets in case I goof one up; I’m starting over. I had to have made an error somewhere. (Well, other than I’m not replacing the brand new birfield I just put in.)

And I need new c clips anyway. I can remove the one on the outer shaft by hand. No good. And dust caps because…why not?

Copy. It all feels better now, but I’m going to take down a couple more layers and have a feel at the bearings.
Nothing.

I’m giving it a rest for the night. Just ordered a second set of gaskets in case I goof one up; I’m starting over. I had to have made an error somewhere. (Well, other than I’m not replacing the brand new birfield I just put in.)

And I need new c clips anyway. I can remove the one on the outer shaft by hand. No good. And dust caps because…why not?
I think you just need to chill out for a bit. This is old heavy iron from the land of rising sun. Some beat to hell 80 is blasting through a god forsaken s***hole on 8 year old motor oil (if by some form of black magic it could hold the same oil that long) and a dry diff as I type this and the driver has not care in the world. Unless things are making weird noises or getting hot when they shouldn't, I wouldn't worry so much. Put it back together, spin the wheel and see how it feels.

you should be fine, could have just been a lot of grease that would be difficult to compress when pulling the axle through the drive flange

I think you just need to chill out for a bit. This is old heavy iron from the land of rising sun. Some beat to hell 80 is blasting through a god forsaken s***hole on 8 year old motor oil (if by some form of black magic it could hold the same oil that long) and a dry diff as I type this and the driver has not care in the world. Unless things are making weird noises or getting hot when they shouldn't, I wouldn't worry so much. Put it back together, spin the wheel and see how it feels.
This is probably true. Although I’m not responsible for that savage heathen who didn’t change their oil. THE NERVE!

Funny story - looking to buy a used car once, the for sale sign actually ended with “car is ultra reliable. Never even had to change the oil.”

Knocking out the other side and we’ll see how she does.

For what it's worth, Toyota sells those c-clips in a range of thicknesses. I don't think you should be terribly worried if one is a bit tight. It could just mean that the supplier of the gasket material was slightly off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom