FJ80 or 1TON (GM) TRE ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like too install histeer kit on my 60, after looking around and pricing I found 4x4labs uses GM 1TON tie rod ends and marlyn crawler uses FJ80 tie rod ends can anyone tell me the diferance in the two. and is it worth the xtra $$$ to have the 1 ton tre. over the fj80 tres?:hmm:

Your question is more complicated than you might think. It is difficult to get the 80 series DRAG link ends. Using TIE rod ends on both the tie rod and the drag link leaves no way to connect the two, assuming you want to keep both rods in front of the axle. So you can only use the 80 series tie rod ends if you plan to run the tie rod behind the axle. But you can't do that if you still have a 2F in your truck, because the tie rod will hit the oil pan on compression.

There is a one ton set up that keeps the steering linkage in front of the axle, but it uses the GM stuff. Luke has, or can get this for you.

I'm planning this swap as we speak and will use the GM stuff. I used it on my 40 and it is really great and beefy, and widely available.

Let 4x4 Labs walk you through the options.

Botton line--If your 60 has a 2F, keep the steering linkage in front of the axle, and use the GM 1 ton ends.

If you have a SBC conversion, and want the "Fromby" steering with the tie rod behind the axle, use whichever you want.

I really like the 4x4 Labs highsteer on my 40. It took some tweaking to get it perfect but Luke and his boys were very patient getting it exactly right.

Thanks for the come back! I am glad you went into it for me!
So keep the steering forward, 1ton tre, high steer kit.
That sounds simple enough.
You said you did this befor how many hours of build time?

Don't you usually use hi-steer with a lift. Wouldn't the lift allow the steering linkage to be behind the axle and avoid the oil pan?

On your 40, is the steering in front of or behind the axle?

You would think, but on compression it can tuck way up there. The tie rod rides pretty high to clear the diff housing. The axle in the 60 is in a different position relative to the motor than in a 40, so it's only a 60 series problem. You might be able to bump stop it enough to prevent the problem, but Luke specifically advised me against using the "Fromby" steering on the 60 build.

In the case of my 40, the tie rod is behind the axle.

As my 60 comes together, the tierod and drag link will both be in front of the axle to keep things simple. Similar to stock only with much beefier components.

For Ramz--The build time is highly variable. Spring over plus springs and front axle rebuild, it takes awhile! BTW-If you are not spring over, I'm not sure I'd bother.

No spring over, but I do have a four inch lift.
140,000mi. my 36in. super swampers are in garage waiting to be mounted.
I thought I might address the tres now rather than later.
My truck is in the air as we speak.

No spring over, but I do have a four inch lift.
140,000mi. my 36in. super swampers are in garage waiting to be mounted.
I thought I might address the tres now rather than later.
My truck is in the air as we speak.

Do you have an additional shackle lift or body lift?

COOL, THANKS FOR THE IMFO!!.
I think the hysteer kit might wait, but will still address TRES.
I would like too see those 1 TON TRES on the front of my 60!
I need to call luke, maybe he can set me up with big tres and rods with out the hysteer kit!!
thanks again, Iwill keep you posted.

COOL, THANKS FOR THE IMFO!!.
I think the hysteer kit might wait, but will still address TRES.
I would like too see those 1 TON TRES on the front of my 60!
I need to call luke, maybe he can set me up with big tres and rods with out the hysteer kit!!
thanks again, Iwill keep you posted.

He sells them without the complete hi-steer kit -

-| 4X4 LABS |-

any idea of the $$$$$$$$$$?

The "| 4x4 | LABS" in the previous post is a link to the page on their website about steering. If you scroll down, they list the prices on some of the different combinations of steering components you can buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom