FJ80 non ABS mastercylinder question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dgangle

total rice
Threads
Hey all,
First post to the 80 forum. I usually hang out in the 40/50. My question regards the brake line connections on the mastercyclinder for a non ABS FJ80. Are these ports bassakwards (front port goes to rear brake circuit and vice versa)?

The reason I ask is that I bought one from Marlin for my 75 FJ40 4WDB to solve a front/rear bias problem and it did not help. Someone said they had the same problem, switched the lines and it works great now. Any help? Here's the thread if interested:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=63132

Here's the MC I bought:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake.html

Please let me know,
Dave

22 views and no info? Please help

well on an 80 w/ABS the front brakes come from the rear half of the MC, that is pretty typical in most cars.

I cant help you beyond that.

I spoke with Chris @ Marlin Crawler today. He said he looked at two non ABS 80's in their shop and both showed the front port on the MC was plumbed to the front brake circuit & the rear port to the rear circuit.

What makes a non ABS differnet than an ABS? After reading your post I looked at my ol' lady's 98 V8 Exploder and my 98 Old Intrigue company car and both are plumbed front to front, rear to rear. Both have 4 wheel ABS.

What is your source?

my source is my 96 LX450, all the ports are marked on the ABS unit next to the MC. the inpute are "R", "F", and the outputs "LF", RF, and "R"

Good info, thanks. Does your 96 have non ABS? Prolly not. I have read that the front to rear, rear to front thing is only for ABS mastercylinders. Again, I have a non- ABS FJ80 MC and don't think this applies to me.

Last edited:
no as I said in the above 2 posts, the 96 does have ABS so it is not a direct comparison, but if I had to guess I would say the no ABS would be the same.

dgangle said:
I have read that the front to rear, rear to front thing is only for ABS mastercylinders. Again, I have a non- ABS FJ80 MC and don't think this applies to me.

IIRC most of my chevys were that way all the way into the 60's, long before ABS.

Good info, thanks. Does your 96 have non ABS? Prolly not. I have read that the front to rear, rear to front thing is only for ABS mastercylinders. Again, I have a non- ABS FJ80 MC and don't think this applies to me.

You are correct.

the front to rear, rear to front thing is only for ABS mastercylinders.

I also have a non- ABS FJ80 MC and it does NOT apply.

It is clearly marked f and r

The abs master has one line on the top and one on the side.

The NON abs master has both lines on the side.
abs master.jpg
non abs master.jpg

I have the same MC on my 40 with w wheel disks i used a wilwood valve.
Front to Front and rear to rear seems to work very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom