FJ80 Major Oil Consumption (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brother-in-law wants my '87 LC. Looking for a replacement. I have found an FJ80 some distance away that sounds good. The owner says everything is pristine. However, it consumes a quart of oil every 300 miles!! AND... he says it doesn't leak and doesn't blow blue smoke. 160K miles.

I can only assume he hasn't noticed the blue smoke if it doesn't leak. His mechanic says it's "normal". I say he's out of his mind. Other than a cracked piston ring or two, or really bad valve stem guides, what would yield this kind of usage? Stuck PVC? And, if it's the PVC, would that leave a trailing blue cloud?

Insights/opinions appreciated.

There was a thread lately on a very similar issue.

make sure he doesn't mean 3000.

As far as the PCV sticking.... there wouldn't be as much smoke but I think a quart every 300 miles would be noticable.

I think he means 3000 miles since any mechanic would be drooling to charge up the a$$ to fix a broken piston ring.

He confirmed, 1 quart in 300 miles. At this point he has resigned himself that it's going to be hard to sell like that so he's pulling in off the market for now (until resolved). Oh well, better to know now that get blindsided later. +2pts for his honesty.

well try to get it off of him for dirt cheap then. Remind him how expensive a rebuild on a toyota engine will be and then to sell it. He is better off selling it for dirt cheap.

Yikes!!!! Way too much oil!!! Even every 3000 miles, too much in my book.:eek::eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom