FJ80 LS Swap and Guages (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello FJ80 family. Jumping into the deep end and rolling up my sleeves. Bought a '91 FJ80 last week and just found a buyer for the inline6. My first forum question. He wants to Toyota ECM. Is the Toyota ECM required to run the current gauges if I'm dropping in a 5.3L Vortec and 4L60 automatic transmission, or can I let it go with the toyota inline 6?

If anyone has done a custom gauge dash, like a HDX-2018 Dakota Digital Dash, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you so much, can't wait to get into this project!

-Jamie

You absolutely do not need it. Even if keeping the stock gauges in place.

Yep you can run everything in the vehicle without the factory ECM. You can use HP Tuners to modify the LSx tacho output for the factory tach, you'll probably need a pull up resistor or tach driver depending on how you want to do it, but that still wont change with the factory ECM.

Awesome. Thank you so much Mr Cable and Mag for your support! Moving on to pulling the engine and getting this beast to the body/paint shop!

The Dude is correct. You do not need the Toyota ECM.

If you keep the Toyota water temp sensor, and the oil pressure sensor from your old engine,the stock dash gages will read correctly.

If the buyer of the I6, does not need the Toyota harness, harvest pig tails from the connectors behind the glove box & the sensor connectors.

There is a wire loom that comes up the tunnel from the T-case to the fire wall in the engine compartment. You will need that as well.

Last edited:
Yup keep the engine harness... i made the mistake and sold it with the motor. Just makes it a little more difficult as the connectors that go out the firewall is in a tight spot above the glove box. Having the engine harness side would've made it a lot easier...

Awesome. Thank you so much Mr Cable and Mag for your support! Moving on to pulling the engine and getting this beast to the body/paint shop!
Swap before body work, IMOP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom